Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2002 GL1800. The last time I changed oil, the mechanic recommended Honda HP 4 and we put in 10W40. I live and ride in Florida and wonder if this is the oil I should be using. Should I consider using the HP 4 oil 20W50 for the hotter, summer months?

I have 20K miles on my wing and want to change the air filter but am a little intimidated by the instructions in the repair manual. Question - can someone with general mechanical aptitude make the air filter change on my own without getting into too much trouble? Is it worth installing a K&N filter or should I use something else?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Yes it's intimidating, but not difficult to change the air filter. I use Amsoil synthetic and their filter, but lots of riders swear by Honda HP4. Honda recommends it so it can't be all bad right? I've used nothing but synthetics in my Wings since 1985 and really like the smoother shifting characteristics. I run Amsoil in my Duramax also and lots of my buds run it in their jetboats. It's more expensive, but I'm sold on it, but it's a personal choice. Doesn't matter if you change it regularly and monitor the condition faithfully; it's the lifeblood of your bike.

·
Registered
405 Posts
For the 1800 you are better off sticking with the stock air filter.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Red Ron why would you be better with the stock filter. K&N filters better as the get dirty and you do not have to clean them till atleast 30,000 miles. I have one in my Silverado and Corvette and I'm happy with them. I sent Blackstone labs a oil sample from my Vette and one of the things they mentioned was the air filtration was good. So that sold me on K&N. I'll be putting one in my Wing when it come time to change it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is lengthy and I read this back in the day when I had my Duramax but, it is informative. You'll see that a K&N is the worst at stopping fine dust. I have one in the other street bike and that is it. It only gets riden in good conditions. Have used them dating back to 1980 and now I don't. OEM works for me.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117009

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
For the number of miles you put on your Wing each year, I would think either grade would be fine.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Red Ron why would you be better with the stock filter. K&N filters better as the get dirty and you do not have to clean them till atleast 30,000 miles. I have one in my Silverado and Corvette and I'm happy with them. I sent Blackstone labs a oil sample from my Vette and one of the things they mentioned was the air filtration was good. So that sold me on K&N. I'll be putting one in my Wing when it come time to change it.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273192&highlight=filter

Don't know if you can get the above link to open but it is one of several on that site that recommends not using the K&N. I can give no professional opinion and have not used K&N in my wing but I have also read supposedly independent research on the K&N which have shown through research that the K&N allows more and larger particles to pass. If I can find more links I will post.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I had a K&N on my bike as part of a Dealer installed performance package. The first oil analysis came back "High Silica" (dirt) and elevated wear metals...568 PPM... I had to ride for a week until my new filter came in. Subsequent analysis showed 51 PPM wear metals.. 1/10th of the K&N...

I also live in Florida and would like to know if the 20W50 oil would be better for the heat?
No Need for 20W-50 in a Wing... 10W-30 or 10W-40 M/C Specific oil

Don't know if you can get the above link to open but it is one of several on that site that recommends not using the K&N. I can give no professional opinion and have not used K&N in my wing but I have also read supposedly independent research on the K&N which have shown through research that the K&N allows more and larger particles to pass. If I can find more links I will post.
Donaldson has tested the K&N with dismal results.. RACOR uses some K&N filter and puts right on the box "For Marine Use ONLY"... I went to a school at RACOR and, although I knew the answer, I asked "Why for Marine use only?" The answer was, "We don't have to worry about dirt out there, just keeping the chunks out"

I own a filter demonstrator and have tested the K&N which, even when overoiled, reducing flow, other filters still performed better.

Of course they filter better,.... It's marketing... So does every filter, just like a fuel filter that filters better and better until.... It leaves you stranded on the road.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts