Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 goldwing with 35,000 miles making a whistling noise. noise is in ratio with speed. what is causing noise.:eek:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I think it is a belt. On mine, I like the sound it, is like a turbine. It drives all the pumper - thumpers nuts.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Noise

I have a 85 gl1200 and it does the same and it is like a rocket ship lol!! Does not bother me a bit!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The 1800 Gold Wing does not have a timing belt, it has a chain. Could be an alternator whine, that is common on the 1800's

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Thanks

Do I need tp replace the alternator?

Tripod
Unless you are having charging issues I don't believe you need to replace it, especially at 35k miles. Sing a little louder when you ride.... Ride safe..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whistling Sound

I just bought a 2008 Goldwing and it also has that whistling sound that drives me nuts , I must be hightly sencitive to high pitch sounds. Somehow I have to get rid of it to really enjoy the bike., it only has 4000 miles on it but if changing the altinator will stop the noise I plan on doing it but have to be sure that it will stop. I also plan on changing the pipes, and what ever else it takes.

·
Super Moderator
7,660 Posts
Upgrade the stereo and put a subwoofer in the tour box. You can get one at www.chromeworld.com part#4004 and harness part#4005, this way you won't hear the alternator or the fuel injectors. The problem is with the GL-1800 alternator and everyone I know has the sound on their Wing, so far I haven't heard any trikes where the alternator doesn't 'sing'. I often wondered if it wasn't a design flaw in the alternator drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having an issue with my GL-1800 2008. The only filter that i haven't installed is with the AUX to XM radio. Disconnected my XM at the plug under the left pocket. Thought that would be a quick way of finding out if that was the problem. Did not work.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Electrical Connection sells them. I forget the part #, but I posted it on here somewhere, some time back. Oh, and Wingstuff doesn't stock 'em, but I did put a bug in their ear about it. If you think you have interference noise now, just flip your high beams on when you have the aux cranked, darn near rivals microphone feedback. I'll see if I can find that post.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Tripod, that noise filter is p/n 03204 from Electrical connection; $24.95 for the Honda GL1800 plug & play.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your reply
I have taken upper shelteroff. Went back, retraced the radiator fan filters, Pump filter and yes there are a couple of other filters on the engine. Checked all grounds. Basically
I suppose I could live with it, after all its only a 30,000 motorcycle including the extra's. Ha
Not really.
It's my wife the co-rider who has the sensitive ears.
Took a stethascope to the alternator and boy is it loud, but that is the mechanical aspect and not the electrical.
This may be silly but I know in the automotive world, their are Alternator noise suppressors that go between Alt. Post inline with Pos. Cable to Batt.
Anyone out their ever tried it. My Goldwing only has 14000 miles on it and I am very particular and treat electrical items with attention. I have dislocated the add on items to the receiver and that wine goes up and down. A little music can help and turning the intercom mute down helps but a fine line of communication with a co-rider.
I am going to put on a ground Isolation and fuse box just to keep wires off of the Batt.
A little over kill but won't hurt a thing.
Once again this whine is with everything (turned off) XM-disconnected at plug under left pocket, so ground loop is not an issue) except the intercom
Thanks for your input
Regards
Daveclif

·
Banned
2 Posts
Hello Everybody,This can happen before the problem affects the driveability of the vehicle.air conditioner service Some of these problems include badly worn piston rings or ring lands, loose wrist pins, worn main bearings or connecting rod bearings, and loose valve train components all produced telltale noises that are unique. n extreme situations on engines with high mileage, you can have collapsed piston skirts and alignment issues with connecting rods. Worn engine rings and excessive blow by can also be a sign of this problem.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
avoid all the above

Good grief all those terrors aren't supposed to happen to Gold Wings. I remember every one of them on my cushman though. The cure is simple, change your oil and filter often, at most 3000 miles and if not at 2500 miles. It is the single, simplest maintenance procedure with the greatest reward. It is so simple even I can do it. My dealer charges 60 bucks. it costs me about 20 (fram filter). Remember what ole Ben Franklin said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Joe
Noise on the Goldwing seems to be a on going nuisance.
I've got a quick for instance.
I had a post about intercome noise when (engine whine)
Here's the story.
Checked filters (CB) Checked grounds
Almost thought about putting filter on Alternator itself.
Now
This bike is a 08 GL-1800 maintained even during winter.
Well, I went back and pulled the battery for a batt check.
The Battery was totally dry and is a maintance free battery, yeah right.
My problem was cured. Hey I don't even know why it did'nt start.
And yes it does take battery acid.
For all of you out there with intercome noise, aux noise(ground loops) etc.
Go thru basics first
The Alternator does make a lot of noise anyway. Put a stethascope and it really will blow you mind compared to a car alternator.
If it runs good, done all of your maintance repair checks time will take care of itself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts