Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, it's my first post here, just got my first goldwing yesterday. It's an 86 gl1200 aspencade and it's in great cosmetic condition. Anyway, I'm having an issue with it. I bought it not running and the guy said the timing belts were loose and needed to be replaced so I started getting into fixing them. But as I went to turn the motor over to get it to TDC the motor wouldn't budge. That scared me so I tried to turn it the opposite direction and I was able to turn the crank about a quarter turn or so just fine before the motor suddenly stopped again. I'm able to spin the motor forward and backward for that quarter turn but no more than that. I pulled the timing belts off and the left side belt was completely burnt up so I started thinking a valve could have hit the piston, bent, and is now preventing the motor from moving, so I pulled the head off the left side of the motor and everything looks perfectly fine. So I'm at a loss. Should I pull the other side's head and check that out? Or what could be causing my engine to lock up the way it is?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention that the front of the camshaft has damage on the race, as well as the camshaft holder and cylinder head races have damage. I've already found replacement parts for that but if there's other damage deeper into the engine than the top end I'm just gonna buy a new engine to swap, so I'm trying to get some help and ideas about what could be wrong before investing too much into my current motor

·
Administrator
29,272 Posts
I would pull the other head too, since you are into it that deep at this point.

Welcome to the GWOF

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes, as Fossil92 states, since you are able to work on it, pull the other head. depending on what’s hiding in there, you will know if you need lower end parts, or not. Can you post a picture of the cam race (journal) you are questioning? I haven’t heard of that one on a 1200 before. Here’s hoping that it’s just a simple valve timing issue that caused the lockup and either a head replacement or new valve will have it purring like new. Spin the crank with the heads off to verify that the lower end moves freely though. And maybe measure the piston TDC deck heights to confirm connecting rod integrity. IF a valve did hit. The valves a tiny and bend easily .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I pulled the other head and it looks just fine... I'm starting to think the guy before me dropped something in the motor and it's locking it up... Here are the pictures of the heads, cylinders/pistons, and the cam journals

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
That cam shaft looks like it was oil starved.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck on your restoration project.
Can you rotate the engine with the heads removed?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Still can't rotate the engine
Well, with what you have showed us, and the fact that the crankshaft still doesn’t rotate with out heads, AND the rust shown in the cylinders. I would look for an engine. Maybe even a couple engines. Your going to want parts. Flood Damage? I wonder what’s inside to cause the lockup? I’d proceed with a replacement engine and do an exploratory teardown on this one to find the cause. Hope you find good luck in a search. And that it doesn’t take long to get back on the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, with what you have showed us, and the fact that the crankshaft still doesn’t rotate with out heads, AND the rust shown in the cylinders. I would look for an engine. Maybe even a couple engines. Your going to want parts. Flood Damage? I wonder what’s inside to cause the lockup? I’d proceed with a replacement engine and do an exploratory teardown on this one to find the cause. Hope you find good luck in a search. And that it doesn’t take long to get back on the road.
Yeah, I noticed the rust too but it didn't look like enough to have worried me. I'll start looking around for engines, I found one with low compression on ebay so maybe I can swap parts around to get a solid motor with that. I just really don't wanna split the case, that's my least favorite job to do and I don't have much space for the parts... It's too bad honda didn't build the motor with removable cylinders

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yeah, I noticed the rust too but it didn't look like enough to have worried me. I'll start looking around for engines, I found one with low compression on ebay so maybe I can swap parts around to get a solid motor with that. I just really don't wanna split the case, that's my least favorite job to do and I don't have much space for the parts... It's too bad honda didn't build the motor with removable cylinders
Good plan, that poor engine suffered from neglect, in my opinion. If you were to open it up further, there is no telling what else you will find. Me, I’d open it up anyhow, well after I had a good replacement. Just remember when shopping that it may not run, but be perfect for your needs. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good plan, that poor engine suffered from neglect, in my opinion. If you were to open it up further, there is no telling what else you will find. Me, I’d open it up anyhow, well after I had a good replacement. Just remember when shopping that it may not run, but be perfect for your needs. Good luck.
I agree, I'll be opening it up once I have a replacement to see what's locking it up when I get a replacement engine. I found a couple not too far from me for $300 a piece in good condition so hopefully I won't be too far away from swapping the engine. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Good luck with the rebuild. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Good luck with the rebuild. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.
Just a long shot guess, but, could it be possible that the starter is engaged, frozen and hung up? Don't know if that's possible but maybe?
Isaac

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey, so I decided to pull the motor and tear it apart since I'm planning on getting a replacement motor anyway. I'm pretty sure the chain that drives the oil pumps and water pump broke and that's what's preventing my motor from completely turning over. I took the front bottom cover off (the part with the shift linkage, front oil pump, and behind the oil filter and water pump) and the oil pump doesn't move when I turn the motor the half turn I can. Am I gonna have to split the case to find that chain? Or is it at the back of the motor where the clutch and everything is at?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hey, so I decided to pull the motor and tear it apart since I'm planning on getting a replacement motor anyway. I'm pretty sure the chain that drives the oil pumps and water pump broke and that's what's preventing my motor from completely turning over. I took the front bottom cover off (the part with the shift linkage, front oil pump, and behind the oil filter and water pump) and the oil pump doesn't move when I turn the motor the half turn I can. Am I gonna have to split the case to find that chain? Or is it at the back of the motor where the clutch and everything is at?
Pull the back cover to access the alternator and such. If it’s the primary chain-its’ a parts engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts