Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new to the forum. I bought a new 2008 Goldwing in 2009, and had it triked. I have a knock in my engine that has been present since day 1. Took it back to the dealer, and of course, that said that it was nothing to worry about, that it's still under warranty. They took it straight out of the crate, and sent it to Motor Trike. I can hear it idling, and taking off, and it's disturbing to say the least. Any feedback would certainly be appreciated.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome Titan. I'd have it checked by another dealer or a reputable independant shop. Get them to put a stethoscope on it and give it a listen that way. GL engines are not supposed to knock, nor any other engine for that matter.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Welcome to the forum and greetings from Florida.
I'd take it to another Honda dealer for a second opinion.
How bad is the sound?
Like a bad bearing?
Which side of the bike does it sound louder on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for replying, and yes I am definitely going to find the right person to check it out, another dealer or something. The sound is hard to describe, because it sounds like between a thump and knock, down lower and kind of in the middle. I can also feel and hear it as I accelerate. Please, I'm not trying to whine about it, but when you give that much money to have it triked out on a wing, you just want for it to be right. I have friends that have gold wings, and theirs sound like a just like a wing should, they just purr when idling. Again, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome Titan to the forum from Pennsylvania. Sorry you are having a problem with your new Wing. Your right, it should not be knocking.... Where do you call home?? Hope you get your Wing fixed and enjoy the forum. Nice folks and good info on here..

Ride safe...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome(s), Yeah I'm from East Texas, and work keeps me from riding as much as I would like, especially this time of year when it's cooler. The summers are pretty tough in Texas!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey trike lady, I just don't know. I do appreciate any thoughts, as I really don't know much about engines. Can something like a clutch generate those kinds of sounds? It could be something like that I guess. I'm an early retired telecommunications tech, gone back to work, and I wonder if there's more to life than just work...sorry, don't mean to go there! Seems to me that Honda ought to care!

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
I'm thinking of the clutch and how it may have been assembled or if when put into the engine it was torqued to the right specifications. When the clutch pack was put together was it done right? It's hard to pinpoint and rougher to figure out where it's coming from without the vehicle present. I have heard some 1800 owners say that they've had a noisy clutch and that Honda replaced it. If they Wing was making the noise prior to becoming a trike, Honda needs to remedy the problem. If the noise became present when it was triked, the sound may be caused by the conversion. Bring the trike to an authorized Motortrike installer.
You may have a bad U joint on the kit also, the black ones are causing a problem and you need to have the greyish colored one.
Below is the clutch assembly drawing.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts