Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In looking through a new catalogue to see what I might want for the almost here season, I checked out tire repair kits because I do not carry one, and probably should. Plugs are pretty much plugs. But where the cheese get binding is how to inflate the tire again after the plug on an 1800 with no on-board compressor. I tend to shy away from the small 12v compressors because of the space they take and of stories of inadequate wiring/fuses in the bike. Also not interested in the airasol cans due to the mess they can make in a tire and/or eat the wheel finish. So I am considering a kit with a CO2 inflator which I just found--it uses the small cartriges that look to be the same as used in air rifles or pistols. So the question--has anybody out there in Wing land had any experience the the CO2 inflators?? What do you think of them?

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
slime makes two very small air compressors, they have them at autozone around here for $20 or less

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
+1 for the Slime inflator. It connects directly to the battery so no worry about fuses. They make different sizes. I have the smallest one for the bike. It's small enough to carry on the bike and does the job well enough to get you out of trouble and to a safe place.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
+1 on the Slime compressor! Works great and has a light on it!!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Never tried from flat state I use it mostly for air shocks and air maintenance!

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
About how long would it take that Slime compressor to air up a rear tire??
I have the small one that has the light and unlike TWW's, mine has a plug for the cigarette lighter only. At Walmart it was $9 and change and it says it takes 13 minutes to inflate a tire but it doesn't say to what degree of fullness. It only goes to 60 lbs according to the gauge. It does say that it must be used in a cigarette lighter circuit of 15 amps. Yes, I do have a cigarette lighter receptacle that has clamps on the wires to hook direct to the battery. That was purchased separately.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK on the slime compressor, but I am still thinkin about the CO2, assuming it works as indicated, it would sure be easy to carry and use, but I am wondering if there would be a down side, guess nobody has used it out there?!

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
OK on the slime compressor, but I am still thinkin about the CO2, assuming it works as indicated, it would sure be easy to carry and use, but I am wondering if there would be a down side, guess nobody has used it out there?!
From what I have heard and I might be wrong, but the downside is simply that it takes 10 or 12 of the CO2 carts just to put about 20 lbs in a tire. The volume of CO2 in the carts is so little compared to the volume needed to fill a tire. Size matters. This is what I have read but again I could be wrong. At Walmart they are about $10 for a box of 15 each 12 gm carts. :)

·
Banned
6 Posts
Don't you have to go to a gas station for fuel? Do you have to add air more often then you get gas or what? I check/add air while at the gas station for gas.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
At .75 to $1.00 for air at most gas stations, Im sure I will make my money back in one season!! Using my slime compressor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
CO2 cartridges are only good in emergence, it took 3 to get enough air on my old bike(FJR) when I got a flat last year. It was enough to be able to ride down to the gas station and fill to proper air pressure. In my opinion you are beeter off with a small all compressor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I keep a Walmart special in one of the saddlebags on my '87 Interstate. It works out well and has a built in pressure gauge. For the V-Rod, I carry the Slime quick repair kit. It has a bottle of slime, plugs and tools to do a quick repair in case of a puncture. I have had to use it. Nice thing about the Slime unit, it comes with alligator clips and a cigarette lighter plug. I plug it in to my pigtail that I use for the Battery Tender.
I highly recommend it. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is what I carry around on the GW but whatever you do don't plug it into your cigarette lighter plug - it will blow it's fuse.
I also carry a mini tire plug kit you can pick up at any auto parts store.
I haven't had to use it yet for my GW but I have for a friend who caught a screw in his sport bike. Worked like a charm!

http://www.gadgetjq.com/slime_pump.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.