Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just about to pull the trigger on a 2012 Goldwing but can't figure out whether it is better to get the factory NAV system or use an aftermarket Garmin unit.

Who is using what and can give recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

·
Registered
68 Posts
The aftermarket Garmin is definitely better. But, you can only get ABS with the NAV, so for me I'd get the NAV/ABS bike. My only regret on my current bike is that I didn't go ABS.

=Dave=
olddogmoto.com

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
After having a member of our chapter of the Southern Cruisers go down on Saturday due to her locking up the wheels and then high-siding the bike, I certainly am glad that I went the additional distance (no pun intended) for the ABS.

The 2012 has a substantially better GPS unit than the 2010 and previous years, but not just as nice as a Garmin 550 or so. If anything, you can still use it as a scrolling map display when you're using the add-on GPS for directional info.

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
I have a Garmin 76 on the handle bars that I like. I have no experience with how the 2012 installed gps works, but I do know that 2010 and earlier with this hardly turn it on.

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
My Garmin 76 is mounted to the bars with a Ram Mount. Like this;
http://wingstuff.com/products/24680-gps-cell-radar-device-cradles?context=gl1800&from_search=1
Just pick the one to hold your gps.

It uses batteries and I like it except that it does have memory limitations in how much map it can hold. This years loop through Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Arkansas held it all. But last year up to Pennsylvania I had to leave out the area around here to fit what I needed up there. You have to attach it to the computer and pick which maps to load. Easy but limited. You can also download a route at the same time but I usually do not do that. I also rely on paper maps and only use this to see how much farther I have to go and check on detours if needed.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
So, if the majority of you are using aftermarket GPS, which models are you using and what mounts do you use? Any pictures you can share?

And I assume that if you are not getting factory NAVI then there you are also not getting ABS, due to them being packaged together???

Thanks again all,

Shawn
Shawn....I don't know about the NAV but I do know you want the ABS. Nonetheless...Pull the Trigger:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
So, if the majority of you are using aftermarket GPS, which models are you using and what mounts do you use? Any pictures you can share?

Shawn
Techmounts make excellent high quality mounts. They are nicely machined, very adjustable, and lock into place so your device won't move around. I had a RAM mount for my Iway GPS, and the mount couldn't hold it in place consistently. (was kind of fugly, too)
http://www.techmounts.com/products/?page_function=detail&product_id=16

You can get the NAV without the ABS, but you can't get ABS without the NAV. Guess which one has more value...?

Personally, I would pass on an airbag bike. They are a pain in the butt to work on, even more so than a standard bike, and there are options like fork braces that won't fit an airbag.

Consider the extended warranty before your 3 year warranty runs out. It can be had for fairly short money, maybe $499 from DLP, maybe less from a couple of other dealers. Al Lamb in Texas has had good prices in the past.

While we're at it, your dealer will likely not offer you the best prices on accessories, especially the CB if you want one. DLP has one for $599, and again, others may be less.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

=Dave=

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
It's kinda like playing poler to me....go big or go home;). I look at the Wing as a git 'er all, or git none type of machine (my personal tastes). It's easier for us Canucks, there's only two choices and the money difference isn't all that much in comparison. I'm not one for added geegaws on ram mounts for my scoots, prefer the all factory version for tidyness/appearance. I still carry maps too, and I plan things in advance when I'm in unknown territory. I will carry a portable GPS on the sport bike, but it's in my tank bag and not out in the open, use it only at gas stops or from the road-side if I need to stop and get my bearings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.