Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i picked up a 78 GL1000 which is a basket case the previous owner had it disassembled and threw it back together to sell every panel i take off i find more miss placed of unattached parts....he claimed it run but only and 2500 rpms and he didn't know why. I when i got it home, I just tried to fir it up after charging the battery making sure the gas seemed ok and there was oil, just to see what I had. I cranked it over for about 20 seconds and it seemed to be firing on ok, just not quite enough to run. After this I gave it some choke and tryed again this time when i hit the start everything went dead. I found a 5 amp fuse blown and ended up replacing all the fuses just in case..they were old. still nothing, I have power to the ignition and power out on the correct terminals I got no lights on the cluster. I looked around for bad wiring and other obvious problems, The battery is charged not sure where to look next short of testing the entire path of voltage, any old pros out there have some tips or know of some common problems that i could look for before spending countless confusing hours with my meter? any help would be greatly appreciated:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I Found the main battery Ground attached to the re most mounting bolt on the battery box which also holds the rear brake line seems like that wouldn't be the most likely spot for a good ground is this the correct location?

·
Registered
5 Posts
yesterday i picked up a 78 GL1000 which is a basket case the previous owner had it disassembled and threw it back together to sell every panel i take off i find more miss placed of unattached parts....he claimed it run but only and 2500 rpms and he didn't know why. I when i got it home, I just tried to fir it up after charging the battery making sure the gas seemed ok and there was oil, just to see what I had. I cranked it over for about 20 seconds and it seemed to be firing on ok, just not quite enough to run. After this I gave it some choke and tryed again this time when i hit the start everything went dead. I found a 5 amp fuse blown and ended up replacing all the fuses just in case..they were old. still nothing, I have power to the ignition and power out on the correct terminals I got no lights on the cluster. I looked around for bad wiring and other obvious problems, The battery is charged not sure where to look next short of testing the entire path of voltage, any old pros out there have some tips or know of some common problems that i could look for before spending countless confusing hours with my meter? any help would be greatly appreciated:D
Hello I have owened wings since 1976 and the problem you mention could be the selenoid check to see if you have power in from the batt and out with the key in the on position with the start button pushed there should be power to the starter making it crank over also the correct fuse should be a 10 amp fuse but you can use up to and not above 15 amp

·
Registered
5 Posts
I Found the main battery Ground attached to the re most mounting bolt on the battery box which also holds the rear brake line seems like that wouldn't be the most likely spot for a good ground is this the correct location?
yes any where you can get a good clean ground on the frame is good

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the ground which was on the battery box was incorrect and caused a problem i located the correct placement on the rear engine mount and i got power back and with some other little fixes i got it to crank, one step forward prolly 20 to go

·
Registered
5 Posts
electrical problems

the ground which was on the battery box was incorrect and caused a problem i located the correct placement on the rear engine mount and i got power back and with some other little fixes i got it to crank, one step forward prolly 20 to go
ya welcome to the world of fix some other guys screwups. when you get it running you will be a very happy man

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Glad to see you are gaining headway Stock. Electrical gremlins can be nasty buggers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts