Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple tools that make your job easier.
How many times have you jabbed yourself with an ice pick or similar when trying to remove a wire from a plastic connector. These terminal tools make it easy on you.
Test lights are great to tell you if power is present, but with most lights you must jab the wire and then leave a hole which allows for future problems or cram a paper clip into the connector. The test light I am showing you has both male and female connector for a non invasive check for power.
Electrical can be fun when you have the right tools for the job.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Simple tools that make your job easier.
How many times have you jabbed yourself with an ice pick or similar when trying to remove a wire from a plastic connector. These terminal tools make it easy on you.
Test lights are great to tell you if power is present, but with most lights you must jab the wire and then leave a hole which allows for future problems or cram a paper clip into the connector. The test light I am showing you has both male and female connector for a non invasive check for power.
Electrical can be fun when you have the right tools for the job.
How much is a set like this and can you buy them on-line ?

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
I have always subscribed to the theory that "it's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it". That said, I have a ton of tools and don't know how to use any of them.......:D

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I have always subscribed to the theory that "it's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it". That said, I have a ton of tools and don't know how to use any of them.......:D
I also have a ton, but I use mine! :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
I say that you should be licensed to use a test light!! So tried of people using one and jabbing a wire every 6" on a 45 or 53' trailer to find a lighting problem, then in a few months and a bunch of salt, someone like me has to go and trace out that wiring problem again, find a corroded spot, fix it, go down another 6", fix that spot, then again, and again, then rip out the whole wire and replace it. Thank God motorcycles don't see the amount of road salt tractor/trailers do!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The paper clip or wire idea bugged me when I was at tech school. The idea of probing water tight connectors and disrupting the protective seal only means future problems.
Stuffing it into the tiny connector so that you open it up and then when you plug it back together it no longer fits tight. Works wonders on todays bikes with sensitive electronics.
I agree test lights can be a bad idea in the hands of some people.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts