Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,
I'm not a mechanic (at all) but bought a 78 GL1000 and am having trouble to make it work. On another post I shared my struglle to make it start and had some help and I figured out solenoid was the issue, fixed it and took it for a short ride. Put back on garage and went for a ride next day... but no love. Retraced my steps reinstalling solenoid, cleaning up terminals and when instaling battery the negative sparks and try to fire up engine. Now I'm going for hit and miss attempts checking connections, terminals, rusted points, loose cables and still it cause sparks and try to start motor. The weird thing is that no key is on ignition so my thought is that there is some current bypassing the proper connections.

First thing I would like to know from you guys is: should I force plug battery in or is there any risk of causing further damage?
Second thing is what may cause this sort of short? I checked cables from ignition switch to solenoid, battery, ground and they are all looking in place.

I would really appreciate your support here. With all this craziness the very few shops here in Buffalo, NY are either closed or only doing simple mechanical fixes which means I need to figure out by myself if I want to ride anytime soon.
Any adivce is very much appreciated.

Hope you guys are all safe at home and only leaving the house for groceries and nice rides!

(p.s.: sorry for new discussion, couldn't fine anything specific about it)

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
It sounds like the solenoid is stuck. Try disconnecting the small wires to it and see if the engine still turns over.

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Check to make sure the starter button on the handlebar isn't somehow stuck in or making contact. That could also be the problem.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Great advice from the guys. On along the lines of starting the New Topic. That is actually the best way to accomplish your goal. Posting to an old topic will some times leave you with little response. Good luck with the bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome guys, this makes a lot of sense. Based on your suggestions I will start checking the solenoid relay and hopefully that is it. Will keep you posted. Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check to make sure the starter button on the handlebar isn't somehow stuck in or making contact. That could also be the problem.
Hi Steve, in this case I haven't even turn the key on, just plugged battery pos cable and only attempted to connect negative. Could still the starter button cause this sort of issue?
On my mind the starter button was off the case but am curious to learn how it can partake here.

Am thank you for the support! Ride on!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advice from the guys. On along the lines of starting the New Topic. That is actually the best way to accomplish your goal. Posting to an old topic will some times leave you with little response. Good luck with the bike.
Thanks fossil92, before posting any new topic I go thru searching all possible similar cases. Could find some useful information but nothing too specific for me.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Thanks fossil92, before posting any new topic I go thru searching all possible similar cases. Could find some useful information but nothing too specific for me.
For sure, don't get me wrong, that is a good thing to do. However all the years of being a moderator, I have also seen where guys in somewhat of a stretch post to a topic that isnt exactly on their lines and it goes nowhere.

Well noted that this isn't your first Rodeo. :LOL:

?

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Hi Steve, in this case I haven't even turn the key on, just plugged battery pos cable and only attempted to connect negative. Could still the starter button cause this sort of issue?
On my mind the starter button was off the case but am curious to learn how it can partake here.

Am thank you for the support! Ride on!
It is possible for the starter to engage even is the ignition switch is in the off position. If the starter solenoid is stuck closed it will cause the starter to engage due to the battery side of the solenoid being directly connected to the battery.

Here is a link to the wiring schematic for a GL1000 https://goldwingdocs.com/Docs/Honda...DF6B.jpg?sid=3dad89321f60b7f6bf79b964de97ca71

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is possible for the starter to engage even is the ignition switch is in the off position. If the starter solenoid is stuck closed it will cause the starter to engage due to the battery side of the solenoid being directly connected to the battery.

Here is a link to the wiring schematic for a GL1000 https://goldwingdocs.com/Docs/Honda Goldwing GL1000 1978 to 1979 Color Schematic-DDF6B.jpg?sid=3dad89321f60b7f6bf79b964de97ca71
Thanks Terryj, schematics you gave are pretty handy!

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
Good advice from the crew. Check all your connections and grounds, and then to a meter test on the solenoids. I realize you probably have done that already, but double check everything to be certain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Following Cantankerous advice I did tested solenoid by disconnecting the small wires from ignition switch and still had same problem, with ground cable giving sparks and forcing starter. Tried doing the same test on the other side of solenoid disconnecting cable from starter and... no sparks, no fire! Can this indicate that my starter cable or ground from starter is having trouble?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found this on YouTube while looking for something else, check minute 1:55 onwards...

This guy had exactly the same issue I'm facing when trying to hook up my battery. His problem was a old voltage regulator, mine is as well.

What is the likelihood of this being the issue?

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
If you disconnected the starter side of the solenoid and had no sparks that would be typical of a stuck solenoid. With the starter cable removed from the solenoid measure the voltage on the starter side, it should measure 0 volts if everything is turned off, make sure you have connected the negative on the battery for this test. If you measure battery voltage on the starter side of the solenoid then you solenoid is at fault. The reason you saw no spark when you did your test was there was no current draw due to the starter being disconnected. The starter solenoid is nothing but a magnetic switch, when power is applied to the coil side of the solenoid (via small wires) it closes contacts in the solenoid connecting the battery to the starter. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
Thank you, Terry.

The solenoid definitely is bad.

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
Glad you got it fixed and are enjoying it.

Reactions: Fdecezaro

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I'm glad you got it repaired, glad we could help you out.

Reactions: Fdecezaro

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi All, just an update on my case. Seems like after you lose three solenoids in a month you realize there is something else. Got it to a shop and they found out voltage regulator was melting some connectors and overcharging solenoids. I honestly thought of that being the issue but was just speculation. Summer here in north boarder is too short to spend weeks playing where's waldo and couldn't wait any longer to burn rubber.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts