Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gl 1200a 50k miles

No clue what the previous owner did to it specifically, but I bought it it think it was all stock and a lot of the wiring is messed up I think.
Right turn signal makes the entire dash blink and turn signal does nothing but left side works

flashers blow the fuse that’s connected to the radio

rpm meter won’t do anything it just stays full red

air suspension doesn’t toggle on the screen but when the wire is directly connected to ground it works

I’ve seen somethings in the forums that somewhat describe my issues but none seem to be helping. Anything will help and if I left out any important info I’m happy to give more detail.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
First thing I would be doing is: clean all switchs with electrical cleaner. Work the switches while spraying electrical cleaner. Hit the switches with compressed air and repeat the electrical cleaner and working the swiches. Check the grounds.

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
My mate @Eric has given you a good start. When I purchase a used bike, one of the 1st things I do is physically take apart all the wiring connections (one at a time ensures that they go back on correctly), disconnect molex plugs clean/lubricate), spray and clean switches, and take apart/clean all the grounds.

That is always a great preventive plan.

Reactions: NREMTP and dsurley

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Sounds like you have a ground issue, a poor ground will cause most of the issues you have listed seeings how the ground circuit for the Tac, Instrument lights and Turn Signals all tie into a common ground. A loose ground will cause a voltage feedback into the Tac thereby causing it to go to full tach, the same happens with the turn signals causing the insturment lights to flash also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is the common ground located? I heard it was by and engine mount bolt but idk where to look. The wires seems to disappear.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Where is the common ground located? I heard it was by and engine mount bolt but idk where to look. The wires seems to disappear.
I don't know on a 1200, may be someone with a 1200 will fill you in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gl 1200a 50k miles

No clue what the previous owner did to it specifically, but I bought it it think it was all stock and a lot of the wiring is messed up I think.
Right turn signal makes the entire dash blink and turn signal does nothing but left side works

air suspension doesn’t toggle on the screen but when the wire is directly connected to ground it works

I’ve seen somethings in the forums that somewhat describe my issues but none seem to be helping. Anything will help and if I left out any important info I’m happy to give more detail.
Gl 1200a 50k miles

I have a 1980 1100A. I also bought mine used. As I went over the bike top to bottom I was amazed at some of the things I found. The old owner had the battery tender wire split constantly hooked up to the battery. So when he trickle charged the battery it also was energizing the electrical system as well. Some of the electrical components looked as is they got too hot and melted. Unfortunately I did have to replace many parts. You may have something similar. Try a conductivity test on the wires to see if there is a short. Hopefully you can find it's something simple. Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts