Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '99 SE seems to be suffering an electrical problem. Recently, when I used reverse, it worked when at the beginning of a ride, but was too weak to work when I returned. Most recently, it was too weak to work at all. Also, on that occasion I had taken the bike out for a short ride of about 15 minutes and it died as I was slowing for a stop light. It started immediately, but I'm wondering about the cause of the stall. I charged the battery a few weeks ago, and all was well. Does this sound like a battery issue or maybe the alternator?

Thanks for any help offered.
Rick

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
have the alternator and battery tested. was the battery fully charged before you installed it

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
+1 on having them tested.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't had a chance to have either tested yet. I plan on putting the battery back on the trickle charger tomorrow. I bought the bike used a few weeks ago, so the battery was already installed.

Thanks again,
Rick

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
How many miles on the bike? If 60,000 or more the alternator brushes probably need to be replaced. Since you just bought the bike you probably don't know how old the battery is but if it's over 3years old I would replace it, You can find out the condition of the alternator and battery by testing them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your helpful advice. I'm taking the battery in to Honda today for a test. I've had it on a trickle charge, and the needle on the meter keeps bouncing - doesn't look promising.

Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts