Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1988 GL1500 is melting the number 8 fuse. It's not a short, as it takes a couple minutes to overheat and melt the fuse. I've been over the bike several times and can't find anything wrong. Has anybody had this happen to them?
I don't have an electrical troubleshooting manual, so I'm only using the small schematics that are in the shop manual.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
What circuit does the #8 fuse protect?

What am I doing?:eek: I'll stand aside for Trike Lady and other electrical whiz kids. After all, I'm a guy running on a lawn tractor starter solenoid!:eek::eek::D

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
I have a dumb answer, but it sounds logical.
The bulb sockets and bulbs. Are they clean and the right wattage?

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No answer is dumb. I have ridden the bike 800 miles with no problems. The other day I bled the rear/linked brakes, rode about a mile from home and the fuse melted down.

The number 8 fuse is the Tail/Main. It protects circuits in about half the bike.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
OK, Val, get ready to give me a good kidding!:)

While bleeding the rear/linked brake system could you have inadvertently loosened a connection in that circuit creating arc/higher resistance?:eek:

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have looked at everything I might have even wiggled about a dozen times and everything looks great.

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
OK, Val, get ready to give me a good kidding!:)

While bleeding the rear/linked brake system could you have inadvertently loosened a connection in that circuit creating arc/higher resistance?:eek:
You did a wonderful job getting the Wing running. Nothing like a little McGyver Engineering. It got you home and that's what matters.:D

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
So you're using new, good quality fuses of the correct wattage and with no signs of a short in the circuit? Hmmm, that IS weird. And I know that you are a very experienced scoot mechanic, so the short issue was tested, not assumed.

Yep, you've got yourself a gremlin, there. Say five Hail Marys,........

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Is it melting the fuse without blowing the fuse. If this is the case I'd be looking at the fuses themselves.
If you had excessive current draw through the fuse then is should blow and not melt. Defective fuses???????????

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fuse does open up, but it melts apart, rather that blowing apart from a short.

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
Rear brake switch?
I'm going to trace this circuit and see what else may be involved.
:confused:

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked that, everything looks like new.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Kerry,

I know I'm grasping at straws, but I'd like to help. At the outset you said "no shorts"; why are you sure about that? You've checked continuity of the circuit, and no chance of a broken wire? One thing that just occured to me (because of having a stuck starter solenoid, which heated it up and baked the terminal block) is possibly a stuck switch/closed circuit that keeps drawing power when it appears to be off/open.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just received an Electrical Troubleshooting manual in the mail. Hopefully, it will help me determine the problem.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Have you remove relay number 3.
That is the relay that controls the circuits in question. all the current for the circuits involved passes through the contacts of relay 3. Burnt or corroded contacts in the relay socket could cause over heating of the fuse.
Plus it eliminates anything beyond the relay.
It's a place to start.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I removed the relay, no fuse overheat, I replaced the relay with a known good one, fuse overheat. I'm beginning to suspect one of the diodes in the circuit, but I'm not sure, at this point where they, and their connectors, are located on the bike.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Sounds like you are gaining ground a bit. I wish I could be of help but I'm an electrical idiot.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like you are gaining ground a bit. I wish I could be of help but I'm an electrical idiot.

No, you're electrically challenged. :p

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.