Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Honda GL1800, 1985 BMW R80RT
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks for the kind greetings from the new member thread!

Thought I would start a new thread for this. I have a basket of electrical issues. They don’t add up to a definitive answer for me, due to my inexperience with this motorcycle. However, I would not be surprised if several here knew exactly what I need to fix. Thought I would seek wisdom before I started chasing things with a multi-meter.

Symptoms:

1) Radio does not work. None of the audio system functions.

2) Clock resets to 1:00 every time I turn off the bike and restart. If I reset it, it functions properly until I turn it off.

3) Keyfob does not work. It did when I first got the bike

4) I cannot reprogram the “Opening Ceremony”. I have carefully followed the steps in the owners manual, but it does not behave like the manual says it will. I never get to the option that allows me to change it. I currently have it turned off.

5) I have no problem starting or operating the bike. Lights are bright; spins over quickly and starts immediately. No operational issues at all, except these odd electrical items

6) Battery is an AGM unit. Have not done any testing yet. Bike was idle for some time before I bought it. I know the AGM batteries can be quirky if not used regularly or disconnected
7) All fuses seem to be in good order.

8) All lights, heaters working normally.

9) I have not disconnected the battery yet. I understand this can provide a helpful computer reset sometimes.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
Make sure fuses 21 & 22 are good, clean and fit tight.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure fuses 21 & 22 are good, clean and fit tight.
Will do. I am going to be logging some significant lift time this weekend.That will be first thing on the list.

Hate to take the machine out of service in the best part of riding season (Florida) but it needs new tires. Hopefully, it will be a fast turnaround time.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
from my experiences with all sorts of motorcycle or automotive electrical gremlins, causing weird and wacky things to happen, but it starts good........... tends to be a ground issue somewhere in the system, things will ground back through something else when everything is energized. Like when you see someone's turn signal blinking, but every time it blinks on, the other brake light dims..... ground issue and it is grounding back through the circuit. Trick................. finding the other ground locations, need a good schematic for that. It could be as simple as unplugging and plugging back in some of the main wiring harness plugs in the loom that feeds the trouble areas, could be loosing ground through a plug

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope to be back on this over the weekend. Seems working on my wing is like pulling a loose thread on a sweater. It is going to look like I decided to part it out before it returns to the road.

The VTX 1800 I rode previously had well-known issues with a carefully documented fix. Much of it was due to the grounds depending on contact with a painted frame. Corrosion caused bad contact which required clean up and application dielectric grease. Made a big difference in that machine. Don’t know if anything similar exists for the Goldwing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hope to be back on this over the weekend. Seems working on my wing is like pulling a loose thread on a sweater. It is going to look like I decided to part it out before it returns to the road.

The VTX 1800 I rode previously had well-known issues with a carefully documented fix. Much of it was due to the grounds depending on contact with a painted frame. Corrosion caused bad contact which required clean up and application dielectric grease. Made a big difference in that machine. Don’t know if anything similar exists for the Goldwing.
Your symptoms point to a blown fuse. The fuse labeled “battery”, if blown, will cause the clock to reset, the key fob receiver to be dead, and the audio system to be dead. It provides the memory power for the radio presets, powers the clock when the key is off, and powers the fob receiver. It’s the only live circuit with the key off. If you find that it’s blown, the most likely culprit to blow it is broken wires in the harness at the right side trunk hinge.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A perfect example of the value of forums like this! I checked many fuses, but did not process that one as a possible problem. Not sure what I thought “battery” was for.

You analysis was spot on, Except for the cause. That would be me! I was hooking up chargers for cell phones. There were two different brands and they had opposite wire coding as to positive and negative. When I connected them together, I blew the fuse. I later abandoned the location I had so carefully connected and used the accessory terminal. I checked polarity before I connected them the second time.

Two gremlins down! The audio system is still an issue but that is for another day.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
A perfect example of the value of forums like this! I checked many fuses, but did not process that one as a possible problem. Not sure what I thought “battery” was for.

You analysis was spot on, Except for the cause. That would be me! I was hooking up chargers for cell phones. There were two different brands and they had opposite wire coding as to positive and negative. When I connected them together, I blew the fuse. I later abandoned the location I had so carefully connected and used the accessory terminal. I checked polarity before I connected them the second time.

Two gremlins down! The audio system is still an issue but that is for another day.

Many thanks!
Are you holding the button down to turn on the audio system? It takes a press and hold for a couple of seconds to turn on. Is anything else on the bike not functioning?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you holding the button down to turn on the audio system? It takes a press and hold for a couple of seconds to turn on. Is anything else on the bike not functioning?
It is working. Went out to check after reading your post. I am sure I tried that before but did not get results. Perhaps the other things I chased electrically solved a fault. Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
It is working. Went out to check after reading your post. I am sure I tried that before but did not get results. Perhaps the other things I chased electrically solved a fault. Thanks!
Excellent! Glad she’s up and running again. Now ride it like you stole it! 😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts