Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on a GL1000, when it gets hot and when the cooling fan kicks in the voltage gauge goes from 14+V down just below 12V. Is it normal for the fan to be pulling that much current or is that the alternator is fixin' to take a dump. The battery is few years old but it still reads 12.78V when not running. I saw that on few of these engines the electrical connector that's coming from the alternator seems to be melted together so I'm thinking of eliminating it and either hard wire it or put some heavy duty individual connectors on each wire and see what it does.

·
Registered
87 Posts
you might have a poor connection with the melted connector and that would cause a higher amp draw.
You are on the right track with replacing the connectors.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The connector is not melted but looking at it's design, it's the same style as the ones for low amp transfer. Not really the type that can handle high flow for 30 years.

And a strange thing happened on the way to fixin' it. I adjusted the "eBay" points, set the gap to almost max and cranked the advance back and now it's running fine, no more drop in the voltage. I need to get the CB450 OEM points in there instead of the cheap low bid ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts