Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding through Alabama cruising about 70, reaved up a bit, and engine seemed to slip out of gear for just a second then it was fine. Anyone else ever experience this. Never did it again for the rest of the ride.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Motorcycle App

·
Premium Member
23,752 Posts
Had that happen twice on my 08. I was in fifth gear for a moment, suddenly I'm in no gear, and just as suddenly I'm back in fifth. That was back sometime in 2010. I don't think I had but few thousand riding miles in the saddle at the time so I attributed it to pilot error.

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
Just guessing but I'd almost agree with chopin's opinion on this. Might have been a slight incomplete shift and the gears 'balked' just a smidge before engaging fully; could have just as easily popped right out of gear completely into a false neutral. If it doesn't become a regular occurance, that's likely what it was. Obviously if it is repetetive, there's something amiss.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Mechanically speaking, this is my only real issue with the Goldwing. It is called Ghost shifting and I have had it do this several times, in several gears, not just one. While it is getting less and less frequent, I'm not sure if it is because everything is getting broke in or I'm just making a conscious effort to make more positive shifts. The transmission on the Goldwing, and I've ridden several, requires that you make deliberate, full stroke shifts. Its not silky smooth as in my other bikes, but more industrial/tractor like. If I get lazy with my shifting, I have this issue.

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
Yuo have a way of saying what I was meaning Dookoo. Wings do require a definite and deliberate shift.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yuo have a way of saying what I was meaning Dookoo. Wings do require a definite and deliberate shift.
Maybe we're twins separated at birth:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been riding for years, but new to goldwings, was trying to figure out if it was something that happens on certain year GW's. Oh well thanks for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
23,752 Posts
Same bike, different year. The quirks are what makes us Goldwing Owners. If it weren't for them we would just be riding a motorcycle.

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
Right you are chopin. It's the idio...idiosink...idyos...quirks for sure:eek::D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts