Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

My 5 or 6 year old Aerostar touring boots with Goretex! I'm pretty sure the excess wear is due to the metal shifter on the Ural. The rest of the boot is fine. I really like these boots so I'm thinking I'll try repairing it with Aquaseal or Shoe Goo and see if I can get another year or two out of them. We do have a shoe repair place in town, but I doubt very much they could re-sole them with anything similar to the original. Darn it!

• Wow
Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Well that's not good. I'd check with the cobbler and see what they could do for you.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Also not good on the transmission if that is from constant pressure on the shifter.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also not good on the transmission if that is from constant pressure on the shifter.
Nope, not constant pressure. Just that its metal with some hash marks carved into the surface, and the fact that the Ural tranny shifts like a 1930's tractor. I.e., must be shifted ummm, "confidently" :ROFLMAO: .

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? A lot of them will do a resole.
Nope, I have not. I imagine I'd still need to ship them somewhere, which could wind up pretty costly. I'll see if I can find a number and ask. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found some references to having AlpineStars re-sole the boots, but it looks like 12 years ago it was around $80/sole. Also appears that it may be only their 'Tech' line of boots that can be readily resoled.

At any rate, I decided to try DIY and bought some Aquaseal SR from Cabellas'. I used a grinder with a 80 grit flap disk to clean up the old surface, and found there was a fair bit of wear all around the holed area, and the heel was worn somewhat too - which makes sense since it's a heel/toe shifter on the Ural. So I cleaned up and put a layer of Aquaseal in both areas:

Shoe Automotive tire Tire Synthetic rubber Grey

This is what it looked like after it hardened overnight.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire Bicycle tire

I actually left it 72 hours before walking on it. I'll keep checking on it to see how well it lasts. This stuff is rubberier (word?) than the sole material and grips more on a flat surface. I'm thinking if I step on some water though it might be really slippery so I'll probably cut some grooves into it with a grinder or dremel.

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Looks a lot like Flex Seal. Keep us updated on how it works out.

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've never seen Flex Seal, so no clue but maybe. The description, "liquid rubber" is certainly the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts