Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How easy are the GW engines for a tinkerer to mess with? Is the GW the kind of bike I can work on in my garage or is it more like owning a Audi? :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, it depends on your level of expertise and what tools you have....the engine is pretty basic.... not all that exotic... but I guess that is relative... I have been working on engines of one sort or another for lots of years.... 40 plus...so not much is exotic to me anymore.... if you have a good set of mechanics tools.. not just a set of wrenches and sockets.. but things like torque wrenches, snapring pliers, different kinds of meters, dial indicators, micrometers, calipers.. etc you should be ok,,, and you should know how to use the above and understand mechanics, a little physics, electricity, some electronics... have lots of patience, common sense.... if that is you then its not difficult to work on....it all depends on what you mean by tinkering... good luck, have fun

capn

·
Registered
4 Posts
all the engine needs depending on year and model are basic. oil changes, air filter changes, and timing belts.

oops i forgot spark plugs.

·
Registered
693 Posts
... HOWDY ... AS THE GOOD CAP'N SAID YOUR TOOLS AND MECHANICAL EXPERTISE COME INTO PLAY ... BUT I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU BUY A "HONDA" SERVICE MANUAL FOR THE YEAR AND MODEL OF THAT BIKE ... THERE ARE AFTERMARKET MANUALS ie: clymers / haynes ect. ... I'M NOT SAYING THEY ARE BAD -BUT- A CLYMERS MANUAL COST ME AN XTRA $100. DO TO INACCURATE INFORMATION ... THE HONDA BOOKS ARE AROUND $55. ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
691 Posts
A wing is a complex bike with lots of systems not on other bikes. Now, getting to things is another matter. They have lots of tupperwear. So give yourself plenty of time and as Ron noted get a good shop manual.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
You buy a Wing to ride it, not to work on it, the only work you will have to do to an 1800 is oil changes and other fluid changes and a valve check at 32,000 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.