Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do when you get back home and work don't want you for a week. You pack the bike and go for another ride.
Vanessa has some rocks that she would like to check out near Castlemaine in Victoria. It is the Easter long weekend and the first problem was accommodation. It took hours to get somewhere to stay but we got that sorted.
This trip we are going to the outback to get there. Only a bushy would love this type of country.:australia-flag-06:
Leaving Adelaide and travelling through the hills over the river Murray to Tailem Bend. At Tailem Bend we go east to Pinnaroo. This is grain growing area but it has a low rain fall and there is a lot of bush here as well.
When we turn south at Walpeup to Patchewollock to Speed. All of these places are one horse towns. At Speed we travel south to Maryborough. This will be our base to go find some of the interesting geology.
There will be photos to come.:photos:

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
Sounds like a good ride....I will wait patiently for the photos:tapfoot:

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Have a nice ride Eric and be safe.

·
Super Moderator
12,308 Posts
We're waiting! :cover:

·
Premium Member
6,766 Posts
Ya'll be safe & definitely post some pics please!! :australia-flag-06:

Mark

·
Premium Member
11,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well Eric finished at the optometrist, came home, put the bags on the bike, got on, we rode 90 mins stopped had a coffee, went to start the bike and battery is flat, Eric gave it a push start and voila! it started. rode another 80ish mile and as we pulled into the motel carpark... the bike died... we checked in, (eric got a lovely red wine compliments of the motel to brighten his day) we went to dinner before they closed.... it is a country town.. one motel, 2 hotels and 2 servos, about the same size as Columbus, Montana.

Eric is waiting outside for the RAA (AAA, I think to you!) while having a glass of red... it is a tough life here in OZ, I gotta tell you. You would understand and I sorta do, remembering Doc's bike's issues in Ohio... that Eric thinks it is the stater, so is trying to work out what to do here, as it is very rural, almost outback with very few services here.

Oh by the way for those who are google mapping this... we are at Pinnaroo, just a couple of miles on the South Australian side of the border with Victoria, and just for your interest. This was my father's birthplace, where my parents were married and where I and my older brother were born. We moved away when I was two... we came back to visit my grandparents often as a child... but the town sure has changed.. slowly withering while the old folk struggle to keep it alive. My grandfather was allocated a piece of farming land as a returned soldier, one of those govtmt initiatives guaranteed to fail. It was terrible for my grandfather and his sons, they worked so hard, but his property was really in the desert and so nothing was going to grow. I remember visiting the farm as a little girl, walking outside on the hot sand for my feet to sink into it because it was so dry.. eventually it was too much for him and with him also having what now wold be called PTSD... he had a total collapse and he retired quite young and died a few years later.

There you go some of my life story for free... and sorry no photos.
I am amazed we can access the internet, so I imagine once Eric and the mechanic have decided what to do Eric will be on here posting to you guys.... byee V

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts
Sorry for the issue with the bike E/V but hopefully all will be well.

Take care Mates & be sure to update us.

·
Premium Member
11,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thankyou Fossil and Chopin114.
Well we both think it is the stator and agree that the simple solution is to charge the battery up and head for home.
I thought that when I fitted the heavy duty stator, it would solve the stator issue. I think I will try it one more time and get a few more miles out of it.
It would be so nice to get Bluey over here. And if I can't do that I may just have to get a Aussie 1500. Anyway that is jumping the gun for now.

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts
Thankyou Fossil and Chopin114.
Well we both think it is the stator and agree that the simple solution is to charge the battery up and head for home.
I thought that when I fitted the heavy duty stator, it would solve the stator issue. I think I will try it one more time and get a few more miles out of it.
It would be so nice to get Bluey over here. And if I can't do that I may just have to get a Aussie 1500. Anyway that is jumping the gun for now.
If it's any comfort Eric I am work right now & you know that is about 6 miles from my home & I could swear I just heard Bluey yell "Crikey Mate let's roll on Home!"

I believe he's chomping at his bit to drive on the Left.

:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
11,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ray really looked after 'Bluey' and I would like to think that I could do a good job of looking after 'Bleuy' over here. I would love to finish my lap of the States and then do a lap of OZ all on the same bike.
Time will tell if that is going to happen.

·
Premium Member
11,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, don't ask me what is going on with my battery/stator because I don't know. But this is what has happened and this is the second time this has happened. The battery would not charge on the bike but charged up on the battery charger. When I arrived at Pinnaroo the battery was completely dead. The motor stopped, the dash went out. Everything electrically was dead. Charge the battery overnight, put it back into the bike and test the charge to the battery. At 3,000 rpms 14.5 amps to the battery. So as far as I am concerned it is working.
But I do not understand what is going on here. I am going to have to get a amp/voltmetre fitted. Now the only thing that I could find out of place was the Earth/Ground was a little loose. It is the only thing I could find.

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
I fear the word " intermittent " in my profession. " Sometimes it does this, sometimes it doesn't. Once in awhile it does so and so.......". Diagnoses are simple when things are just outright broken.

·
Premium Member
11,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So we got a late start at Pinnaroo but we are back on the road. It looks like rain so the first part of the ride the camera is put away until Sea Lake. Sea Lake was the lunch stop and gas stop. The first photos are from Sea Lake to St. Arnaud.

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts
Ok, don't ask me what is going on with my battery/stator because I don't know. But this is what has happened and this is the second time this has happened. The battery would not charge on the bike but charged up on the battery charger. When I arrived at Pinnaroo the battery was completely dead. The motor stopped, the dash went out. Everything electrically was dead. Charge the battery overnight, put it back into the bike and test the charge to the battery. At 3,000 rpms 14.5 amps to the battery. So as far as I am concerned it is working.
But I do not understand what is going on here. I am going to have to get a amp/voltmetre fitted. Now the only thing that I could find out of place was the Earth/Ground was a little loose. It is the only thing I could find.
Mate if that ground was really suspect than my feeling is that the trouble is there.

Remember that anytime there are loose connections that will impede results.

·
Premium Member
11,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The first photos is what the farming in our marginal areas look like but in just a few miles (80 miles or so) the trees start to get bigger.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.