Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early 80s engine swap with a Valkyrie

Has anyone swapped out the engine from an 82, 84 Goldwing with a Valkyrie? Was thinking that would be really cool. This would be potentially my first engine swap and curious if it’s possible or would this turn into an absolute nightmare? Your thoughts are greatly welcomed.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

I'm sure it could be done but I personally don't see why. I like both the GL1200 Standard and the Valkyrie and frankly can't see what you'd gain from the bigger engine with the smaller frame, brakes, tires and suspension.

·
978 Posts
Early 80s engine swap with a Valkyrie

Has anyone swapped out the engine from an 82, 84 Goldwing with a Valkyrie? Was thinking that would be really cool. This would be potentially my first engine swap and curious if it’s possible or would this turn into an absolute nightmare? Your thoughts are greatly welcomed.
Your engineering prowess better be absolutely top notch to pull off grafting a flat 4 with carbs into a Valkyrie frame. I take it you haven’t researched both bikes yet? Your time researching them will shed some light on your concept. Power to weight ratio’s would change a lot, because the weight difference between the 4 and the 6 is small, but the power output would be much less. Unplug 2 spark plug wires on a valkyrie to get an idea of the power loss. I always thought Honda could have gone that route in 2001. Instead of making a 6/1832, make a 4/1221, in a lightweight aluminum frame with all the goldwing amenities. I wonder what the mpg’s would have been. I’d like to see a conceptual drawing of your vision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts