Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went in to the dealership where I bought my current ride, a 2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic, because they had just expanded the building and I wanted to see what they had. I noticed two Goldwings side-by-side that looked identical. One was a 2009 and the other a 2003 with 25,000 miles on it. I mentioned it to my wife and she said if I had a Goldwing she'd ride with me. She has a history of hip problems and thinks she would be uncomfortable on the back of my Vulcan.

Well, that got me thinking there might be a 'wing in my future! Haven't bought it yet. I think I can get the dealer to offer it for around $13000. A little over the Blue Book value, but the bike is pristine and low mileage. Any problems I should know about with the 2003 GL1800?

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF eagleboy. make sure the frame and overheating issues have been addressed on the '03

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. If you search this and other forums you can get a good idea of any issues with the 2003 GL1800. As detdrbuzzard mentioned the big issues were the frame and cooling. Those issues were taken care of with recalls, so if the bike has been maintained properly the issues should not be a problem. Good luck on your decision. Ride safe and often..

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Another welcome from PA. If it get's the wife to ride with you Go for the Wing. I love to ride & do a lot of solo on my Nighthawk but when my wife is on the Wing with me & we're riding it is totaly different we have a blast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I think the dealer sold the bike to the prior owner when it was new, so should have a pretty good record of its maintenance. There may also be a way to track recall work by the serial number. I know BMW can do it. I'll ask the dealer about the overheating and frame issues.

I'd love to take it for a test ride! Too bad our current temperature is 2 degrees. I think I'll wait.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Honda has the ability to track recalls by the serial number. I had the dealer punch in the numbers and while the frame problem has been fixed the heating problem has not. He told me it would be by the time I bought the bike, so it looks like the GW is my next scoot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts