Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to get the 10 year old E2's off and put these new E3's on soon. This bike sat 7-8 years in the OO garage, in the same spot. The E2's hold air and have good tread---but while I can't see any evidence of dry rot or damage---I don't trust these old tires. "The guy" at the local motorcycle shop said they looked great and he would have no problem riding them...problem is, HE ain't the one riding them...I am.

I will report on the diference between the E2's and the E3's after I put several hundred miles on them. I have about 300 miles on the E2's, although I did not "push" them in any way.:eek: Except when that old lady decided to STOP in the middle of SR60 @ about 50 m.p.h. I did get a little squeel from the rear tire. That was Saturday and I still haven't had a BM.....jk

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I am interested in how the e3s hold up for you I have E2s now put on new last season so I expect to be putting tires on by this seasons end!

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
i put e3's on my 1200 back in '07 and the tires have been great. i have close to 10,000 miles on them now

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've been running E3's (bias) on my 1500 for many years. Went from Dunlops and must say I'm impressed. I do get a bit of a whine in the corners which is not uncommon.
Strat

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
I've been running E3's (bias) on my 1500 for many years. Went from Dunlops and must say I'm impressed. I do get a bit of a whine in the corners which is not uncommon.
Strat
the e-3's on the 1500 whine once in a while the e-3's on the 1200 have never had that problem

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Are there also radial versions? What are the pros and cons?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They do list radials (I went with the bias ply) but I gathered from the wise ones here that they were not the best choice for older bikes like my 1986 Aspy.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
The last set of E-3 I took off had 19,000 on them, Could have put a few more thousand on them,
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
I have the E3s on my 1200. It handles great, better than with the old IIs. I can't give any wear estimates, as I have only put about 1,200-1,500 miles on so far.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got back from the shop. I can't speak of any opinion of the tires yet as I have removed both bags and the rear fender extension. While I was at it I took the tag off also. I have to rebuild the calipers and put on the new brake pads so now is the time.

I got the tires, shipped and all for about 225.00 and paid 80.00 for the mounting, balancing and new valve stems. He also changed out the rear gear oil and checked out the grease as well. All in all I think it was fair at 305.00 for all of that.

I will report again after I rebuild the caliper and get it put back together. The other E3 guys give me assurance that I made a good call. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK the bags are back on. While they were off I cleaned up the chrome a bit and rebuilt the rear caliper and put on new pads. I took her around the block a couple of times and the wheel/tire and brakes did not fall off, so I guess I'm good to go. I think I'll get around to the front brakes one of these days. I'll update after a couple hundred miles---so far so good! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts