Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously,it's always a risk to purchase without riding,seeing the bike.But is there anyone out there with purchase experiences of bikes through e-bay?Some great deals,some with free shipping through alot of dealers and i expect that most of them,if not all are honest and fortheright.Am i nieve,or is the experience going to be positive?Or should i shop local or at least be able to take the bike for a test drive,etc??

Being from Canada,and with the increase of the Canadian dollar,it almost makes no sense to purchase up north.I belive in "shopping local",but a few thousand bucks is better off in my pocket then someone elses for the simple fact of shopping in Canada.

What to do,what to do??

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Trailblazer,
Excellent question and others will, no doubt, chime in.
I bought 1 vehicle on Ebay and will not do it again. There is a lot of pressure and some emotion flowing by the time you see it. At least for me. I felt REALLY obligated to buy as I had just bought a 1 way ticket and the seller had paid a fee. I had to have them meet me at the Hotel and it was gated, so I could only look it over after it was warmed up and blocking traffic. Not what I envisioned. (the rear brakes were gone BTW, and doubt they knew it).

If you are buying from a dealership, you do have the feedback but they don't have much history. I would want to get a phone number of the previous owner. He would hopefully be forthright with the info as he no longer has a dog in the fight.

I would be more inclined to buy, long distance, if I knew the individual or knew others of the individual. (not the bike or vehicle). Then you can count on their word.

Long winded but wanted to explain why I have this opinion.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have never seen a dealer willing to "Ship" a bike. I have never dealt with an individual except to sell a couple of boats on Ebay. And both of those guys flew in after paying a deposit.
Me personally, I would not touch an Ebay bike with a ten foot pole unless I could check it out in person or know someone who could look at it for me.
Another thing to consider is the taxes getting the bike into Canada. You will probably spend as much in tax as you would save buy buying in the states.

I bough my 08' off Ebay.....Well kinda. I found it on Ebay from a dealer in Oklahoma but I called and and negotiated the deal directly with the dealer then drove up and inspected then purchased it in person. But this was only a 500 mile trip for me to save a couple thousand $$.
For you, it sounds like any deal you make on Ebay would almost certainly be a leap of faith. Either in going to inspect it before you buy or by buying it, putting a deposit down then going to inspected it. Either way you look at it, the pressure is all on you.

My advice is to get to know some of these guys on the forums and find a bike you like that is close enough to one of them so they could go check it out for you. If I were in your shoes and in Canada, that is the only way I would even consider it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
eBay does suggest using an inspection service before making a bid/purchase. I have no idea how reliable that service is and would be interested in hearing from others. Personally i would always be a bit leery of something I couldn't kick. With so many available out there it is worth the effort to keep looking closer to home.

There is also a search engine available that you can use with craigslist. You can set it up to search a different distances from your zip code. In other words you can easily check any radius that you are willing to drive to. if you're interested I can give you the link to the search engine.

·
Registered
466 Posts
And if you are really seriouse about it, what price range are you looking at?
I know where you can buy brand new 2008 Airbag models for around $19,500 with full factory warranty and zero mile never titled.

Better yet, if you buy one, you can fly your arse down here to Texas. You and my wife would get along great, she is from Ottawa and lived in Alberta and BC for a while.
Dinner is on you..........lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm from Calgary and bought my new 08 w/airbag in Phoenix. Rode it back myself earlier this year. Guess that option is not an option for you now. If your looking for new, I think you can still find more 08s in the states then Candada. Mostly I've seen 10s here and the prices are so much better in the south. Only GST is due at the border (I think that is the same for all new or used?) plus an import fee of $205. I wouldn't buy a bike off eBay, no bad experiences there is just lots of deals elsewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have bought two cars and one Goldwing in the US through Ebay. One car was private and a dream deal. The other car was through a dealer and a nightmare, the head gasket went 10 miles after I picked it up, and no warranty. The 2008 Goldwing was through a dealer in Miami and again a dream ( I saved about $6K).

My suggestion is if you are using Ebay, find something you think is good, send the agreed minimum deposit which you are prepared to lose if necessary, but do not pay balance until you inspect the unit!

Good Luck

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Trailblazer, there are dealerships close to you with '09's in stock (Turples, Medicine Hat, Pointe West Edmonton, Rocky Mtn House...I checked the locator for you) that I'm fairly sure they would be very happy to give you a deal so they don't have to carry it over the winter. They may even have some demo models at even better prices. Yes you can save some coin on a US bike, but you have NO warranty coverage in Canada on a US model (we have our wonderful Federal Gov't to thank for that one). If you are looking at used, there are lots of good buys out there, I have a friend in Olds that just picked up a '95 at a real good price and fairly low miles. Lots of used bikes across the border too, and just gst and import flat rate fee (mentioned above) to pay on them. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have purchased an Excursion in Dever, CO., then I just purchased my '03 Wing from a Dealer in NH. Both deals worked out great. The guys in NH are great, they do most of thier business via ebay and Cycletrader, they ship 70% of the bikes they sell. They let you put a small deposit ($250) and then balance when you pick it up... www.nationalpowersports.net they are one of the good guys out there! As for checking out the bike prior to buying it, if they are good company (or individuals) they will invite you to do so. When I was looking for a bike I made sure the deal was good enough to cover a round trip ticket and shipping...

·
Registered
59 Posts
If money is the real issue find a GW in the states and do what There707 did and ride it home. You can find a real deal if you are willling to search and be patient. There are many men with some age who never really ride there bikes far. the do a lot of add on and put them up for sale expecting to get all the money back,, plus it runs great. Well they all run great. If money is only a little issue find the dealer with too many and willing to deal for a left over. Be patient is the key there is one out there for you. ANd don't be afraid to ride it home you won't be sorry..

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought my 99' wing on E-bay last spring,borrowed a truck,rented a trailer,drove 4 hours south,test rode the bike and bought it.The only bad thing was the p.o. didn't have too many service records,so I've been updating all the fluids,filters,etc.Two months later I found a comparable model close to home.I could have saved a couple hundred bucks,but it worked out o.k.I would recommend patience and take someone with you who has experience with Goldwings.Anothe friend of mine flew from Phoenix to Pennsylvania and rode his 99' wing back home.This was his third wing so he knew what he was looking at.Take your time ,shop around.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Obviously,it's always a risk to purchase without riding,seeing the bike.But is there anyone out there with purchase experiences of bikes through e-bay?Some great deals,some with free shipping through alot of dealers and i expect that most of them,if not all are honest and fortheright.Am i nieve,or is the experience going to be positive?Or should i shop local or at least be able to take the bike for a test drive,etc??

Being from Canada,and with the increase of the Canadian dollar,it almost makes no sense to purchase up north.I belive in "shopping local",but a few thousand bucks is better off in my pocket then someone elses for the simple fact of shopping in Canada.

What to do,what to do??
Hi,
I bought my 08 Wing back Sept 09 from a dealer up in Oklahoma, Shawnee Honda. I found them on Ebay. Saved a bunch compared to local and they were great to deal with too. Picked me up at the Airport in OK City, went to the dealer. Worked out great. Plus had a great ride home. Took two days.. Only because I wanted it to take two days.....

Cheers..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dealer feedback for internet info

I've been looking at a LOT of dealer web sites in the last couple months. One thing that really REALLY annoys me (HACKS ME OFF!!!!!! :mad: ) is the standard Honda dealer format for new bikes. When I go looking at the new bikes from the dealer, I want to see what they actually have on the showroom floor. Not the standard boiler plate picture of all 4 models of Gold Wings. I don't want to know what Honda originally made to sell, I want to know what new bikes are in the store before I drive over to look at them.

If dealers have an option about how to display their wares PLEASE show what ya got, not the entire line made.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Honda Canada (and I imagine Honda USA as well) has some pretty strict rules about what and how you advertise. If it doesn't come from their dealer ad mats it's verboten by the dealer agreement we have to sign. We aren't supposed to advertise below MSRP pricing unless it's non-current or it's a Honda sanctioned deal, and a host of other dumb-ass rules. So much for free enterprise.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Honda Canada (and I imagine Honda USA as well) has some pretty strict rules about what and how you advertise. If it doesn't come from their dealer ad mats it's verboten by the dealer agreement we have to sign. We aren't supposed to advertise below MSRP pricing unless it's non-current or it's a Honda sanctioned deal, and a host of other dumb-ass rules. So much for free enterprise.
I can understand about the advertising requirements especially the less than MSRP limitation. What annoys me is that the shop does not show what they have on the floor. I really would be upset to go there and find while they show the 4 models on the pictures that they do not have any on the floor to look at or test drive. Upset enough that I would not buy from the shop later on.

While they would obtain any model you would want to buy, my personal traits would require I ride the bike before I buy it. Like the old saying goes, don't buy a pig in a poke. If it isn't on the floor I won't waste time to go to the shop. Right now the web sites don't show what is actually inside the shop for new bikes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts