Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

I have an 08 GL1800 and got 11,000 miles out of my factory Dunlops.

I just put new Bridgestones on front and rear with dynabeads, 2 oz front, 3 oz rear. Left my original weights on and went for a ride. Smoooooth!!

So my question is; Should I remove the old weights or leave them and will it hurt anything to let the dynabeads fine tune balance everything?

Oh and by the way, putting the dynabeads in with my 90 degree elbow valve stems was a pain in the arse. I ended up putting a few bead at a time in the tube and using my air gun on my compressor to blow the beads into the tire that way. I turned down the psi to about 40 and it worked pretty good. At 100 psi it wanted to back pressure and blow the beads back out all over the floor.:eek::eek:

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm not a big fan of balancing compounds in tires, but many people swear by them. I just can't understand how sand, beads or even golf balls (in big mud tires) can tell where the heavy spot is in a tire and adjust to bring it back into balance. I suspect that the force of it spinning inside the tire adds weight to conteract the tread from bouncing on the pavement. Working in truck shops with tire balancers, I've run tires with balancing agents in them and found the tire still out of balance. We've removed those compounds and put on traditional lead weights and got tires to balance. But then again that's only my opinion on what I've observed over the years.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
the weights were added where your old tires were lightest in weight.
so they might now be in a neutral spot, a good spot or the worst spot with the new tires.

Statically, the odds are in your favor as it would be rare to have put the heaviest part of the tire right where the weights already are. But you don't know.

Tire manufacturers have limits and would assume dynabeads provide enough to offset those limits. I don't know that they provide enough to offset the manuf. limits plus leaving the old weights on.

It rides smooth so if you are happy, then it's probably ok. As you are asking advice, I would remove the weights to know that the dynabeads perform as the manufacturer expects them to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts