Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
A lot of guys use them, especially on the GL1800's. Most seem to like them, but some say they can cause a problem with inside of the tire. My bike has the Honda TPMS so I'm leary of using them becaue they might damage the sensor inside the rim. There is a product out there, somewhat expensive, called a ceramic wheel balancer. Here is a link if you want to check it out.

http://www.centramatic.com/ShowStory.aspx?StoryId=12573&PartnerName=centramatic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys just trying to figure out what we want to do with the new front tire on my sons bike as usual a lot of good info and people here

·
Registered
515 Posts
I attended a short seminar presented by Dunlop at my local dealer today. The question was asked about the dyna beads, as you can imagine, if there were a problem with the tire, the manufacturer would not warranty due to the additional product. I read some of the reviews that Carl mentioned above...interesting. I don't know about tires, but I have a front loading clothes washer that uses nearly the same technology in it and it works on it. I have about 1,000mi on this new set of tires, they are balanced the old fashioned way.

Did anyone know that Dunlop is (has been) owned by Goodyear?? That was probably one of the few pieces of information presented at the seminat that I wasn't already aware of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used dyna beads on several bike tires with great results. 120 mph on a Concurs smooth as glass. I also have a buddy who uses them on his salt flats bikes (230+ and gaining) he won't run conventional weights after one came off at 200+ and almost made his wife a widow. The only failure I experienced was a seriously out of round wheel and even that got better. Besides my local guy charges about $10 for enough to do both wheels which is less than the local shops charges to balance one wheel. cheap experiment.

Just like eating in a foreign country sometimes I don't want to know!

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
if you put them in as you're mounting the tire ,what will happen if your tire didn't need any weights? i had my front tire mounted last month and was told it was perfectly balanced (no weights or dyna beads) if i put the recomended 2 ounces of dyna beads in the tire wouldn't it throw the wheel out of balance?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If your wheel/tire is balanced why would you want to put beads in unless your still having problems. :confused: And no they will not unbalance your tire because they work through dynamic effect.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Agree with Redball, beads would not affect the balance since they would distrubute evenly. According to the Dunlop rep we spoke to and if I understood correctly, motorcycle tires are nearly perfectly balanced in the manufactuing process. The "lightest" point of the tire is marked with a dot, that spot should be aligned with the valve stem, which by virtue should be the heaviest part of the wheel...I guess balancing everthing out. But then again, I just had new tires installed 2 weeks ago, the front wheel has 3 weights, two that clamp onto the centerline and one stick on, the back tire a single clamp on, guess your lucky!

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
well i just put in the dyna beads and i do notice a difference,i also bypassed the anti dive which made a big difference in the way the bike stops,MUCH BETTER! alot easier to controll,the bike doesn't stop so abrupt.i have a superbrace on and i might change the springs when it's time to change the fork oil,but not sure as it is not soft and doesn't bottom out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts