Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I went to the district rally in Rogers Arkansas for GWRRA this weekend. While on the "parade of lights" ride in downtown Rogers my handlebars started kicking back and forth. We creeped back to the motel so I could check it out. On the right sidewall, of the Factory rear tire, a bulge was forming. The next morning I slowly made my way to Heartland Honda (the local dealer). Even though the factory Dunlop tire had 7,000 miles on it, it was replaced with an Elite 3 at NO CHARGE. I asked the service man about it, and it had been cleared with Dunlop on the 3 previous ones they had seen. Mine was the 2nd rear and they had had 2 fronts also. Has Dun-floppy been doing their best to keep this quiet to avoid a re-call?:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
I don't know the motive behind Dunlop's replacement policy, but it certainly is good customer service to do so at their expense. Perhaps they are taking the tires back and examining them for possible defects. Glad you and your wife are safe and now have a new tire. Ride safe..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I used to run dunflops all the time, the last 3 sets seem like they were very bad as far as wear and front end wobble. My last set I put on are Bridge stones. 709 front and 702 read (702 is a 70 series) 704 is stock size for the rear, and I love them so far. The 70 series will make your speedo right on (according to my GPS) and will take care of the 4 miles per 100 your odometer adds on with the stock size rear tire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used to run dunflops all the time, the last 3 sets seem like they were very bad as far as wear and front end wobble. My last set I put on are Bridge stones. 709 front and 702 read (702 is a 70 series) 704 is stock size for the rear, and I love them so far. The 70 series will make your speedo right on (according to my GPS) and will take care of the 4 miles per 100 your odometer adds on with the stock size rear tire.
Keep your eye on that 70 series rear tire. Taller sidewalls mean more cupping. I used to run 70 series Rear tires. Tried a Metzler, an Avon, and a Bridgestone. The one I got the most miles out of was the Avon it developed a bulge at 6500 miles. The Metzler lasted 5000 miles (badly cupped) and the Bridgestone 702 went 4300 miles badly cupped). The speedo/odometer correction was great and the reduced rpms was good as well. Just keep a close eye on those 70 series tires on the 1800.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
That's a great heads up 3rdwing. I'm going to pass that around our area and chapter members.

·
Registered
24 Posts
best tires

I just ordered a Metzeler for the front of my 1100. i was told not to mix brands and it has a new Metzeler on the back. front is cupped and i can feel vibration. i think my wheel bearings are a bit loose . also it makes noises around corners but this could be caused from tire as well. back wheel does move a bit on center stand. i figure i will do the front tire this week $180.00 ouch! and get some new wheel bearings in while have wheel off. the bike has 69,000 and not sure of the history. only 2 wheels and a very painful road....yup new bearings it is
Larry B

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I can't wait to get rid of those Dunlops on mine! They are noisy (Sounds like bearings are gone) and hard! I had Bridgestone on my last bike (3 times) and I just loved them. They stick to the road and are quiet too. Ok .... 8000 max out of the rear tire but who cares as long as you are having fun!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Just clicked 4000 miles and the rear tire is completely bald, there is not a groove to be found anywhere. I will try the Elite 3 in 70 series to see how that goes. Is there anything wrong with keeping the stock front tire for now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
had same problem

3 years ago in searing heat my Dunlop EIII rear tire developed the exact same kind of sidewall bump you described. I was up the I-5 in central California and it was a sunday with no cycle shop of any type open. I stayed overnight at a motel and the next morning crept at 50 mph to the nearest place I could find to get new rubber, but the tire exploded like a cannon shot after a couple of miles. I thought it was the extreme heat that caused the "anyuerism" of the sidewall, but after reading this thread I do believe they have a sidewall defect issue.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Just clicked 4000 miles and the rear tire is completely bald, there is not a groove to be found anywhere. I will try the Elite 3 in 70 series to see how that goes. Is there anything wrong with keeping the stock front tire for now.
Just what I have been told by people who know WAY more than myself, and it could be BS, however I have been told that your front and rear should be a match pair or they will wear more. It doesnt make sense to me but then again there are tons of things that dont make sense to me that are still right. I have never had good luck with Dunlap tires. Contenital or Metezlers have treated me best.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I've done different front rear combinations on my bikes with no ill effects so far. The tires have always been the same brand and radial/radial or bias/bias. I believe mixing bias/radial is the big no no. The main goal is to see how the 70 series tires (taller tire, more ground clearance) does for my handling as I am scraping the lower cowling on turns with slight g-outs. I also plan on getting firmer fork springs but am not looking forward to taking the new wing apart yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
tires

I HAVE TRIED DUNLOP,YOKOHAMA.AND BRIDGESTONE.I NEVER GET MUCH MOR THAN 5000 MILES OUT OF REAR.WINGS ARE HEAVY ASS BIKES YOU RIDE YOU USE RUBBER.ESPECIALLY WHEN THE BACK HO IS ON BOARD.I DON'T CHANGE THE FRONT UNTIL IT'S READY BECAUSE IT'S 2 TO 1. ASLONG AS IT'S BALANCED IT WILL BE FINE:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
The wife and I went to the district rally in Rogers Arkansas for GWRRA this weekend. While on the "parade of lights" ride in downtown Rogers my handlebars started kicking back and forth. We creeped back to the motel so I could check it out. On the right sidewall, of the Factory rear tire, a bulge was forming. The next morning I slowly made my way to Heartland Honda (the local dealer). Even though the factory Dunlop tire had 7,000 miles on it, it was replaced with an Elite 3 at NO CHARGE. I asked the service man about it, and it had been cleared with Dunlop on the 3 previous ones they had seen. Mine was the 2nd rear and they had had 2 fronts also. Has Dun-floppy been doing their best to keep this quiet to avoid a re-call?:rolleyes:
Thanks for the post I started thinking hard about replacement tires for my Wing with 7,700 miles on the stock tires. I have been running and happy with the bias Metzler 880's on the Kawasaki Nomad. I though the Wing riders were getting a lot more miles out of there tires than I'm going to get out of the stock ones.

Can anyone tell me what they get out of the Metzler 880 Radials?

Thanks,
Elk Hunter

·
Registered
12 Posts
What to Buy??

Reading this forum is great to gather information on the things we love to ride.

Everyone has their preference of tires but generally speaking, I believe most riders are happy with the Bridgestone tires. The Dun-flops are noisey. I will probably have to replace my tires next year, so, "What are the best all-around tires to buy??

Also, can anyone tell me if they have a tire education seminar at the 'Wing Ding', and if so, does the GWRRA recommend one brand over another? If there isn't a discussion on tires at the 'Wing Ding', and if anyone in charge of the 'Wing Ding' agenda would it be possible to put this topic on the 2011 agenda. Invite the tire manufactures to come and speak and educate Wing Riders on their products. This will also give those in attendance an opportunity to ask questions and talk about their experiences in a public forum. Kinda, put the tire companies on the spot.

This is just an idea, sorry for rambling on but it may make 'Wing Ding' more interesting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts