Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a reputable local bike shop install a Dunlop Elite III (160/80 x 16) rear tire on my 1997 SE 1500 Goldwing. When I was cleaning it up at home that evening I noticed the date on the tire was (2309). This means the tire is about 1-1/2 years old. Is there a shelf life to this tire and if so, does anynoe know what it is? Will it last for three more years and go the expected 15,000 miles? Also, some of the lettering on the left side of tyhe tire is strange. Each letter has a shinny area right below it. It almost looks like a letters in a 3-D effect from a couple of feet. I could really see this after I polished the tire with Amoral. Is this tire ok? Or did I get a "blimp" tire, one that is considered a factory reject, but still road worthy? Or not road worthy? The tire is perfect on the road at highway speeds and around town. I am pleased with the tire as far as the handing is concerned. It also rolls straight, too after checking it out on the center-stand. I am asking these questions because I would like to be assured this Dunlop tire is safe and will last a few yesrs and still be safe with proper care. Any advice would be greatly appeciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Tooneyman,

Someone else can give a more technical answer about the tire age. More importantly, I think the Amorall is the bigger issue. That's stuff is slippery!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Read the label:

There is no safe treatment for motorcycle tires. Even if you wipe it on the side wall, some might run to the tread if you jump on and take off.

Take care and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I can only speak for myself but I would not worry about that tire. I've run E-3 since they came out and haven't had any problem. The 3-D thing I haven't ever put Armor All on my tires so I can't speak for that issue. You will probable get more then 15000 miles out of it. If you do any kind of riding you'll be ready for a replacement in a couple of years making the tire what 3 years or so old. I wouldn't worry myself.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
I have E3's on my 93 and they are great. It had K177's on it and they were okay, they just didn't seem to last long. My Wing is a daily rider and so everything will wear faster.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tooneyman,

Someone else can give a more technical answer about the tire age. More importantly, I think the Amorall is the bigger issue. That's stuff is slippery!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Read the label:

There is no safe treatment for motorcycle tires. Even if you wipe it on the side wall, some might run to the tread if you jump on and take off.

Take care and ride safe.
Oh, I make sure none of the Amoral gets on the tread surface of the tire. I don't spray it on the tire, just use a rag soaked in the stuff and then wipe the sidewalls down carefully. Never do get any on the tread part. That would be some bad news if I ever did ..... lol. :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
No problem with the tires Tooneyman, See you hail from Platte City, I'm here in Blue Springs...Welcome

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I've heard 6 years as a number thrown around for 'shelf life' on tires.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
TWW is right about the shelf life. I would always check the sidewall of any replacement tyre 'before' it went on my bike. If it was more than 3 years old, I'd tell them to pick out another one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts