Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my bike taken away from me due to the construction of the Dunlop Elite 3 tires. These tires are dangerous and do not comply with Goldwings basic rule. If the center tread is worn, change the tire. Dunlop doesn't even have a center tread. There is a sticker in the truck of all Goldwings that tells you not to use a tire that doesn't have a good center tread and yet hundreds of thousands of Wings are riding on the Dunlop Elite 3 tire. I had my tires slide out from under my bike at 30 km. per hour. That is very slow, but my bike got totalled anyway. I have worked for Goodyear for 30 years, and I know how they work. They will not accept the responsibility for any wrong doing. These tires are a danger, and I'd bet they will, if they haven't already, kill someone yet. I was almost killed in my accident. My accident made it so I can't even sit on a Wing any more because of my hips being in so much pain now. I also found out that the Canadian Gov't. doesn't police motorcycle tires like they do car tires. I feel that I need to tell every other biker about those tires, because I wouldn't want another biker to go through what I had to deal with. Goodyear washed their hands of it and I ended up without a bike. For ever. Please take your tires off and put some reputable ones on, before you kill yourself on the bike you love so much.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I was not aware that Good Year made Dunlop tires! After some investigation I see they do! I hope my tires are going to be ok!!

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
I am sorry to read your story. After being on a bike for 40 years,I have seen the good and the bad of what riding a bike can bring. Two of my friends have lost a leg, and one was newly married and his wife lived with us while he was in hospital. I remember saying to him that he could still do anything he wanted to, but would have to make the changes to be able to do it. His house had to be chaged so he could get his wheel chair around. The car had to be altered. When the mental scars where party healed he got back on a bike which was altered for him. But he found it too dificult with things like his leg falling off. So he got a bike with sidecar and that was 12 years ago. He lives 400 miles away, but that didn't stop us from riding together. He is living a full life, not a easy one. He struggles with things at times but the bike give him the mental stress releif that he needs. Thanks for the warning. Remember my mate B.J. I would like his story to inspire you to do the things that is dear to you.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
I've read some negative comments on products but never one that flashed " WARNING " as this member has suggested.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
A1, first let me welcome you to the forum from Pa and second let me say how sorry I am that you are unable to enjoy riding anymore. I hope that someday you will again be able to get back on a bike and enjoy riding. Your story about E3's is compelling and yet there are quite a few 1500 and 1800 riders that swear by them. I have not personally had them on any of my Goldwings. I have always put OEM tires on my bikes when they need to be replaced, feeling that those were what were recommended by the mfgr.

Your post serves as a warning for all of us who ride to be careful whenever we put something on our Wing, whether replacement or new, that we never endanger ourselves or others..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have told a lot of bikers about the problem with the Dunlop tires that I've experienced, and I've found that there are at least 2 Honda dealerships who will NOT put Dunlop tires on a bike any more, unless the client insists, but they show him the sticker in his trunk, and recommend another type. I'm glad to see some bikers are heading the warning I'm sending out. I started a chapter of the GWTA in Barrie Ontario, and I've ridden more than people will believe, but I've never had a tire that did what this one did, and now I'm paying for it for ever. If there is any way possible, I'm going to be back on a bike again, but because of this, I've lost all my money, because of not being able to work, so I don't have enough to even look at buying another Wing. It's like having both legs and arms cut off and then being told you have been entered in the Olympics. There is nothing that can make it right after that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This one is a warning because I feel these tires should have been recalled. I tried to do that, but found that there was no Gov't. agency that dealt with motorcycle tires. Only cars. They basically told me that Let the Buyer beware. I started a Chapter of the GWTA in Barrie Ontario and have ridden hundreds of thousands of miles. I'd ride in any weather conditions, and for any length of time. Riding was my second life. Now all I can do is watch because of those tires, and the attitude from Goodyear, who makes them. Since Goodyear bought Dunlop, they've changed the quality and the specs on a lot of tires. There are some Honda dealers in Ontario who will NOT put Dunlop tires, especially the Elite 3, on a bike unless the client insists on it, but they do so under duress. Thanks for reading my warning, and I hope it will save even one biker from getting hurt.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Perhaps I am missing something here. Fist let me say, i am sorry that you are in the situation you are in and I wish you a speedy recovery.

But what I find strange is this. I have been reading about the GL1800 and tires every day since the first of the year.
This is the first story I have heard about the E3's being poor quality or defective. I my self have never used them but I did run the OEM Dunflops and I can verify that they are crap, mine lasted 6250 miles and cupped like crazy.
I for one need a little more information. How many miles did you have on these tires? Was it delamination? Tread separation? cut in the tire? Broke belts?

You do not say what happened other than you wrecked @ 30kph?
I would like to hear more on this and how this imping that the Dunlop E3's show a pattern of defects or safety issues. This is honestly the first claim I have heard like yours.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
A1biker I am also sorry to hear of your situation, and wish you a speedy recovery.

I also would like to know more about the accident.
I have used E-3 on my 93 GL1500 Aspencade for at least 70,000 miles. I've ridden in some of the worst weather possible, snow slop on the road, several inching of water while pulling a trailer and the only problem I've had was I picked up a nail in the rear tire this past summer. So if there is something more we should know please tell us.
Again wishing you a Speedy recovery.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
515 Posts
I too am sorry for the unfortunate situation that A1biker is in and with respect to him, would also like more information since I use Dunlop E3 tires. What model bike, what tires, E3 bias or radials, how old were the tires, what were the circumstances for the 30kmph accident? Unlike you Buzzy, I have used Dunlops going back to E2's on my 1200 and now E3's on my 2000SE. They have served me well in all types of weather, 1up, 2up and pulling a trailer, I have no complaints even with the "corner howl" so many refer to. I replaced the tires on my bike 6 months after purchasing it back in early 2008 and got 17,000+ out of that set before having to replace them in April of this year due to a nail in the back tire, there was life left in them then. I located the tire information sticker in my trunk, the only infrmation given regarding a center tread is for minimum tread depth. Agree that the E3 has no centerline tread, though the tread lines do overlap across the centerline of the tire, the bike was fitted with K177's when manufactured, which as I understand was a terrible tire for the GL1500.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Interesting post, but sad to hear. I'm going to bring this up with Honda Canada the next meeting I'm at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dunlop tires

Like I said in the first blog I put on here. Check your trunk and you'll see a warning that states if your center tread goes below a certain amount, change your tire. The Dunlop Elite 3 tire hasn't got a center tread. You are literally riding on a slick. There is tread on the sides, but nothing down the center to keep you from sliding sideways. That's what happened to my bike. I touched my brakes at the top of a hill, and my back tire was beside me before I realized what it was doing. I tried to gain control, and got tossed off when the bike went sideways. The tires slide sideways cause there is nothing to stop them. They also tend to roam on pavement, as well as cause front end wobble. If you go to Dunlop Elite 3 Forum in the computer, you will read a lot of complaints about this tire. There was no damage to the tire. I only had 800 km. on it, which is about 600 miles. The problem is the construction of the tire right from the factory. It is built without any consideration for the warning put out by Honda about what can happen without a center tread. I hope that explains more for you. Any other questions, feel free to contact me and I'll answer what ever you want. [email protected] is my email address and I'd be more than happy to talk to you about this. I lived to ride. Literally. Now I can only live and wait till I can ride again in my next life.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello a1biker and welcome to GWOF. sorry to hear about your accident but there had to be more than just the tire. the front tire on my 1500 wing ( dunlop e3 ) was worn down soo low that the wear bar was worn down too. i wont say it tracked like a new tire but it was very predictable at all speeds even in the rain. i replaced the tire with another e3 so i could go to st. louis but ended up blowing my left shock which i could not get replaced in time for the trip there are other tires as well as the e3 that dont have a center thread on them, are you saying not to buy those or is it just the bad experiance you had with the dunlop? i had my bad experiance with bridgestone and got lucky, missed the tree by less than six inches. that was over 25 years ago and i still won't buy bridgestone tires

·
Registered
515 Posts
Have thought about this more since my previous post and had a couple of more thoughts. Admittedly, I'm not an expert, see some of my previous posts! However, doesn't the tire with the most traction actually put the "most" rubber on the road? I thought the purpose of the tread was to shed, in most cases for us, water so as to prevent hydroplaning, improving traction by keeping the rubber in contact with the road? Specifically relating to motorcycles, aren't the tires used by racing bikes by definition "slicks"? Not to mention Nascar and NHRA... no tread! No disrespect intended to A1biker, but I've got to agree with detdrbuzzard, there's got to be more going on here. My 2cents.:confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those of you who are riding the Dunlop tires have been very lucky, in my opinion. Check inside your trunk of your Wing. You will see the waring there about not riding if your center tread is worn. I was riding a 1993 Aspencade that was fully loaded to be equal to an SE. I've ridden hundreds of thousands of miles on my bikes. I have taken courses on safety on bikes and I've been teaching how to ride to new riders. I've been told that I'm about the safest biker anyone knows. I helped start the GWTA in my area, and have travelled in every type of weather there is, including snow. In short, I know how to ride in anything. I realize it's very hard for someone to believe me when I tell you that the tire is dangerous, especially if you've never had an accident with it. I'm trying to keep you from having an accident. I said previously that there are 2 Honda dealerships up here that refuse to put these tires on a bike unless they have a client who insists on it. That fact alone, plus the sticker in every Goldwing trunk that gives you a warning about using tires with no center tread should be enough, plus the fact that I'm telling you what happened to my bike, and there was no warning, and they were almost new tires. They had about 600 miles on them. They still looked new. I hope this answers your questions, but if not, send me an email at the address I mentioned before, and I'll be happy to answer any questions. Thanks for listening and being healthy. Stay that way.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Hey A1,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the loss of your bike. Your post is thought provoking and the idea that it doesn't have tread in the center is true most of the time.

My brother worked several years at Kelly Springfield in Fayetteville. What did you do at Goodyear?

·
Registered
741 Posts
I replaced the stock with a 70 series E3 and have been nothing very happy. Great traction, even when laid over and scraping hard parts. I ride with a group of sport bikes and the E3's are proving to be very capable. I do not ride when it is wet out so no experience in this area. It is very nice to have the wife actually want to go on rides with me again!

·
Registered
741 Posts
What I am saying is that I push the tire close to its limit each time I ride. Rear tires only last me about 3500 miles. If I can push the E3 this hard all the time, I cannot say there is anything wrong with it. Could you have perhaps hit an oil spot in the roadway or such? There is an overlapping center tread on the E3 so they are not slicks in the center.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
1st thanks to A1 for his input. 2nd Have run through 3 sets of E3's & loved every mile I put on. 3rd It may be that there were other factors at play just as Dookoo has said, No offense intented. In closing thanks for the post & now all others can make their own decisions.

Ride Safe everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am still missing something here. He keeps repeating about the warning sticker in the trunk that says to not wear the tread down or whatever. But then he says the tire only had 800 miles on it?????

What does any of this have to do with tire wear if it was a darn near a new tire? There are many tires out there that have no tread right at the center and tread is only there to disperse water from under the tire when roads are wet.
The best traction you can have is a "Slick" tire where you have maximum rubber on the road.

Something tells me you somehow locked up the rear tire and are in denial and trying to find something other than your own possible mistake to blame it on.

No disrespect intended but you put it out there for all of us to read and this is what I see based on what you have said thus far.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.