Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting my Wing ready for a big trip I had the oil and filter changed and the bike gone over from front to back. The mechanic said my tires were fine, they look like new. These E3's have almost 7,000 miles on them. Being inexperience with the Wing and these tires I had my original set changed at 9300 miles because I got a good deal at Americade 2011. :) However, in retrospect, my tires would of lasted another 5,000 miles, probably. Oh hell, better safe than sorry. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
My luck isnt always good, so I would change my tires before a big trip. I would rather replace them at my home with the best prices I can find, rather than on the road and get hosed by a dealer and pay towing plus taking time from my trip. JMHO :D

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
tires are tires and if they are worn down to the point of needing replacing the take action. mc tires have wear bars in them just like a car tire

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Last year the night before I was off to Americade I did the big once over the bike. Wow was I shocked when the back tire needed changing :eek:. It wasn't bald or belts showing, just not a lot of tread. Under the circumstances I got a new one in Americade despite the new one in my basement. The tire was great until I pulled the bike out of winter storage and it seems to have a slow leak from the base of the stem :mad:. There is still a lot of meat on the tire so I fill it in the morning and it holds up all day long.
What a pain.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Had excellent luck with the Dunlop E3's on the 1500, gonna give them a go on the new 18. 11.5K on the OEM bridgestones is disappointing to me.

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
Steve, one of the most common failures are valve stems. They should actually be checked more closely than the tires as the cracks and leaks are harder to spot. We've changed stems in driveways on necessity. PITA but it can be done.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Had excellent luck with the Dunlop E3's on the 1500, gonna give them a go on the new 18. 11.5K on the OEM bridgestones is disappointing to me.
I have to agree with you on this one. Had the E-3's on my '10, and I was happy with them. I was talking to my service manager last night about how disappointed I am in the Bridgestones on the 2012. Thinking about changing them now, at about 6500 miles.

Anyone else with them feel like they ride slick?? Not sure if that is the actual description. Just don't feel stable, maybe slip some in turns, etc... Tried a bunch different things with tire pressure and suspension. Still, I don't care for them. Never felt any of this with the E-3's on the 2010.

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
Can't say I've ever really wore a set of E-3 out. The last set I picked up a nail in the rear tire and had to replace it. so I had both replaced. Had 19,000 miles on them. Have 15,000 on this set and they are still looking good.

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
It always blows my mind how many miles others get on tires. The most I have seen on a set of tires on the Wing in 12,000 and those miles were on the Dunrocks that came on the wing when it was new.
These miles are on my 1500, Haven't any real idea how well the E-3 does on an 1800.
On the E-2's I'd replace them at about 12,000, always throw away a couple thousand miles or so but I like to have enough tread left for an unexpected trip

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
I read someplace that cupping can because by hard braking tipping the tread blocks???

·
Registered
320 Posts
I did a lot of research before I put on a new set of E3's and I must say they are great tires. I have a 100 on not getting used to them so far and I must day they are great.

·
Super Moderator
11,952 Posts
These miles are on my 1500, Haven't any real idea how well the E-3 does on an 1800.
On the E-2's I'd replace them at about 12,000, always throw away a couple thousand miles or so but I like to have enough tread left for an unexpected trip
The 1500 uses a bias belt while the 1800 uses a radial. The 1800 radials don't seem to last as long.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
I made a desition, next Monday I am changing both tires. I still have tread on my front tire 2300 klicks (1400 miles) on it . I bought a Doran TPMS and want to put the sensor inside. Last week I just had 2 new rotors and all new brake pads on the front, and now the sensor will not fit on the out side of tire :mad:

I'm installing the back tire still in my basement. The rear tire has 17000 klicks (10500 miles) with not a lot of thread. I'm tired of filling every morning (expectially on my next trip) and also want to put the new sensor in that tire. Both tires are going to be the E3 as usual.

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
I made a desition, next Monday I am changing both tires. I still have tread on my front tire 2300 klicks (1400 miles) on it . I bought a Doran TPMS and want to put the sensor inside. Last week I just had 2 new rotors and all new brake pads on the front, and now the sensor will not fit on the out side of tire :mad:

I'm installing the back tire still in my basement. The rear tire has 17000 klicks (10500 miles) with not a lot of thread. I'm tired of filling every morning (expectially on my next trip) and also want to put the new sensor in that tire. Both tires are going to be the E3 as usual.
Both my tires are holding air well since I changed out the stock valve stems with the metal type. Coincidence or cure ???????? I don't have TPMS, nor have I found a reason to justify it so far. I'm actually surprised that I don't have to add air as periodically as I remember in the past with the Wing and the previous bike.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Both my tires are holding air well since I changed out the stock valve stems with the metal type. Coincidence or cure ???????? I don't have TPMS, nor have I found a reason to justify it so far. I'm actually surprised that I don't have to add air as periodically as I remember in the past with the Wing and the previous bike.
A buddy of mine has had Doran TPMS for about 2 years now. I've had a couple of times (a fast back tire flat for one) that I would have liked a early heads up. I toyed with the idea, and I bought it unused from a guy on another forum at a good price and installed it myself. It was working great for a week until I had the brakes and rotors done, now it won't fit on the front tire.

It's called peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
A buddy of mine has had Doran TPMS for about 2 years now. I've had a couple of times (a fast back tire flat for one) that I would have liked a early heads up. I toyed with the idea, and I bought it unused from a guy on another forum at a good price and installed it myself. It was working great for a week until I had the brakes and rotors done, now it won't fit on the front tire.

It's called peace of mind.
They do make " run on flat " tires ( rear tire only that I know of ) that will work on motorcycles. I have one myself. Now that's peace of mind. She may deflate but she won't let me down.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
They do make " run on flat " tires ( rear tire only that I know of ) that will work on motorcycles. I have one myself. Now that's peace of mind. She may deflate but she won't let me down.
Since I have the m/t tire from a year ago in my basement, I don't have to worry about it. The next time I change up my back tire I'm really going to have to concider going with a c/t.

·
Premium Member
23,812 Posts
Since I have the m/t tire from a year ago in my basement, I don't have to worry about it. The next time I change up my back tire I'm really going to have to consider going with a c/t.
Watch " DanB " and " LarryinSeattle ". They are 1500 C/T riders.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.