Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started this thread due to the recent accident from a rear tire blow out of Terry Cooper and the most recent failure of Issac's son's tire who both had Dunlop E3 Multi treads installed on the rear. I'll let them tell their stories here. This is a heads up for anyone riding on or considering these tires.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I'll start it off with our most recent experience...

Terry.....just to let you know, my son Isaac almost joined you today in the hospital. Coming home from the COTA races here in Austin, he felt the back end of his 1500 start to swing and sway. They were in the middle of heavy traffic and doing about 70 mph. I guess your blow-out story was on his mind so without hesitation he pulled to the side. There was a knot the size of a grapefruit on the side of his Dunlop E3 rear tire. He called me and I loaded up the truck with tools and a spare and we changed the damn tire in a parking lot. While we were changing it, I looked at the tire and a second knot had formed right beside the other one. This morning when I took these pictures, I noticed that the tire was de-laminating around the full circumference of the tire and its just laying there. The tire had about 12,000 miles on it. Another mile or less and it would have blown just like yours. It was a tussle but we got a spare tire mounted and got the bike home. It's my opinion and my opinion alone maybe, but if there ever was a tire that needed to be Black Listed, its that Dunlop E-3 multi-tread. I wouldn't put one on a wheel barrow let alone a bike that I plan to ride. The kicker to this is that he and my Grandson were riding 2 up at the time.... Isaac

Just rechecked the figures and the tire had 11,200 miles on it...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,465 Posts
I just had the elite 3 bias tire, not the multi thread. It's the shi-- when they blowout to stay up right.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Good idea, not to mention my own multitread E3 ha a nice big crack right Iin the middle of the tire and only 12600 miles on it with more than half the tread left. I was really happy with mine until recent events and the crack. It does have lots of cupping too.

·
Premium Member
17,041 Posts
I've been running E-3 since they came out and never had any trouble, but I'm going keep a real close eye on them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The stones that came on the wing are the only tires I've run that we're not Dunlop's, this is my first go on the MT version. 3500 miles on these, I'll be mindful of your warning.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
The stories that I am hearing here are worrisome but I have run Dunlop E 3's on my 1500 and now 1800 with no issue. I currently have about 6,000 miles on my current E-3 Multi tread rear tire, it still looks new.......yes I just inspected it.

I would really like to hear from Terry when he gets his bike back and does a good inspection of his blown rear tire, maybe it can be determined what happened. Did he hit something? Did he pick up a nail or other object that was causing him to lose air or did a valve stem possibly blow out?

I asked the question if he had a TPMS and was told that he did BUT- I was battling side winds on a ride this past weekend as I understand Terry was as well on his ride back to OK on his way home from the meet and greet and noticed that I did not ONE time look at my TPMS while I was on that ride, it was taking my full concentration while battling those winds so I wonder, was he monitoring the TPMS or not?

Before I give up and declare the E-3 tires as unsafe inquiring minds want to know. I do see the crack in Dustin's rear tire but I also read on the dark side forums the fact that the Gold Wings with car tires do not lean into corners the way they do with MC tires and also hear that the rear end feels "squirrely" with the car tires, I'm not sure I want to give up on MC tires.......just yet anyway.

·
Super Moderator
14,576 Posts
I've been running E-3 since they came out and never had any trouble, but I'm going keep a real close eye on them.
I know Dustin's was the new multitread. I have the old E-3's on mine and it's my third set. No problems with the first two and got 20,000 out of each. Maybe the new process is the problem?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I know Dustin's was the new multitread. I have the old E-3's on mine and it's my third set. No problems with the first two and got 20,000 out of each. Maybe the new process is the problem?
Mark, are you talking 20,000 for a front or the rear tire?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
And an other question I have, since we are talking about tires.. Have anybody ever tried "Conty"? I mean Continental tires for Goldwing that Wingstuff sells on their website? They are made in Germany and so far everything germans made comes out great.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I just had the elite 3 bias tire, not the multi thread. It's the shi-- when they blowout to stay up right.
Terry says that his tire was not the Multi tread but the standard E-3.

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
....... but I also read on the dark side forums the fact that the Gold Wings with car tires do not lean into corners the way they do with MC tires and also hear that the rear end feels "squirrely" with the car tires, I'm not sure I want to give up on MC tires.......just yet anyway.
I never said that. I would say the opposite: but I don't ride like a bat out of hell either..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll start it off with our most recent experience...

Terry.....just to let you know, my son Isaac almost joined you today in the hospital. Coming home from the COTA races here in Austin, he felt the back end of his 1500 start to swing and sway. They were in the middle of heavy traffic and doing about 70 mph. I guess your blow-out story was on his mind so without hesitation he pulled to the side. There was a knot the size of a grapefruit on the side of his Dunlop E3 rear tire. He called me and I loaded up the truck with tools and a spare and we changed the damn tire in a parking lot. While we were changing it, I looked at the tire and a second knot had formed right beside the other one. This morning when I took these pictures, I noticed that the tire was de-laminating around the full circumference of the tire and its just laying there. The tire had about 12,000 miles on it. Another mile or less and it would have blown just like yours. It was a tussle but we got a spare tire mounted and got the bike home. It's my opinion and my opinion alone maybe, but if there ever was a tire that needed to be Black Listed, its that Dunlop E-3 multi-tread. I wouldn't put one on a wheel barrow let alone a bike that I plan to ride. The kicker to this is that he and my Grandson were riding 2 up at the time.... Isaac

Just rechecked the figures and the tire had 11,200 miles on it...
I currently am sitting in Little Rock waiting for a shop to open. Yesterdy in the Ozarks i was riding on an elite 3 ith around 5 thousand miles on and had a blow out at around 60. The. Entire left sidewall ha separated from the tread. Happy to be alive. Has there been a recall is my question.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Many people have renamed Dunlop to Dunflop over the years. Of course there are those that swear by them. I for one, would not put a Dunlop tire on my wheel barrow let alone my bike. My opinion will not change anyone's mind, but I cringe when I read stories like yours especially since we have had a similar experience. .....Of course this is just my opinion.......Isaac

·
Registered
380 Posts
Six year old thread, Dunlop has moved on to the Elite 4 some time ago. If you're still running an Elite 3, it's probably so old you should be blaming yourself instead of the manufacturer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.