Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 SE 1500.

It's time for new tires, currently running Dunlop E-3's.

It's not that I have really had any complaints about the Dunlop's but I am reading about the Avon Venom tires and the Gold Wing owners that run them rave about them. I am now convinced that no brand of MC tire is going to last more than about 12,000 miles but if I can get better grip and handling from the Avon's I may consider them.

Load capacity on the Avon's? I know that the Dunlop's can handle the weight without an issue, what about the Avon's? I can't find load capacity info on them.

I would love to go darkside on the rear but I guess the tire manufacturers and motorcycle Industry have put out enough info about C/T on motorcycles discouraging their use that I am not comfortable doing that yet.

Any opinions are appreciated

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
I would love to go darkside on the rear but I guess the tire manufacturers and motorcycle Industry have put out enough info about C/T on motorcycles discouraging their use that I am not comfortable doing that yet.

Any opinions are appreciated
Bev,

It's really not that big of a deal. Here's how I see it.

The guys that run C/Ts love them.
The guys that don't run them don't want to.
Some people want to make this subject some sort of mysterious controversy but in reality it's nothing but a difference of opinion.
They work, they last, & whatever floats your boat gets it across the lake.

My suggestion for you is to just spend some time reading the already posted topics, there are plenty, then contact some of the guys that run them & they will be more than glad to guide you.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Bev,

It's really not that big of a deal. Here's how I see it.

The guys that run C/Ts love them.
The guys that don't run them don't want to.
Some people want to make this subject some sort of mysterious controversy but in reality it's nothing but a difference of opinion.
They work, they last, & whatever floats your boat gets it across the lake.

My suggestion for you is to just spend some time reading the already posted topics, there are plenty, then contact some of the guys that run them & they will be more than glad to guide you.
+1 here Bev. I'm running Michelin Primacy ZP on the rear and love it. The most important thing about going Darkside is if you can get someone to install it. If you got that, then there is nothing to hold you back.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
There should be load info on the tire sidewall, but if you don't have a tire in front of you it might be hard to find out. Avon might have a spec sheet online somewhere that has it. I searched and came up empty on the load. Gives just about everything else about them though:confused:

·
Registered
473 Posts
BEVMAN, your milage may vary, I ran a set of E3's on my 2000SE past 17K when I picked up a nail, had hoped to hit 20 but circumstances dictated a new set. I'm currently running E3's on my 2012, got 12K out of the factory stones, pushing 9K on the dunnys without issues to this point.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After 2 days or researching every C/T and every available M/T, I have decided to stay with the Dunlop E-3 bias ply tires recommended for the GL-1500, I am having them installed tomorrow.

Oh well, nothing ventured....nothing gained.

Thank you to everyone for your opinions and ride safe!!!

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I've been running E-3's since they came out. You should be able to get around 20,000 miles on them on a 1500.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Miss my Pilot GT's but the E-3's arent so bad after a year with me. No cupping and just now making noise off center and in turns. Inflated to 40 front 42 rear.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Personally I like the Dunlop E3s. I've tried them all and the E3s have been my best performer all around.

As for a CT? I tried it, it was ok :rolleyes:...really didn't care for the crappy handling while maneuvering at slow speed on choppy surface conditions. Other than that complaint, the CT is a great high mileage option tire. I'm back to running the normal motorcycle tire in the rear now...soo much more nicer now :D

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Personally I like the Dunlop E3s. I've tried them all and the E3s have been my best performer all around.

As for a CT? I tried it, it was ok :rolleyes:...really didn't care for the crappy handling while maneuvering at slow speed on choppy surface conditions. Other than that complaint, the CT is a great high mileage option tire. I'm back to running the normal motorcycle tire in the rear now...soo much more nicer now :D
Thanks Marty

I love the new E-3's on my 1500. I guess ride and handling qualities just degrade over time without really realizing it but the new E-3's are so smooth and the bike feels like it responds quicker and easier to inputs. Very happy with the new set of M/C tires.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've been running the Avons for about two and half years, put them on at 97K and my bike now has over 114K. I should have about 3-5K left in them which will put me needing some skins about July next year. I didn't like it much when the back end of my bike broke loose while going uphill on a moist roadway two up. Wife didn't care for that feeling either. I do suspect that they are getting a little louder in the noise dept, but then again my bike in general seems louder.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm thinking mileage on tires all depends on the type of roadway you travel the most. People that I have talked to from FL say those roads are rough on tires due to ground up shells in the mix. Having ridden most states east of the big muddy, I do see different types of roadway mixes and condition. Also riding habits very greatly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i think i am going to go with the e-3 on my 1998 se as well. I can get them for right around $300 shipped from bikebandit for front and rear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.