Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Has anyone had a problem with the Dunlap Elite 3 180 70 r 16 tire being mounted on a Airbag Model with the TPMS system on it??
My shop broke my TPMS sensor in the rear wheel while installing my first set of Dunlap 180 70 r 16's and now the TPMS light won't stay off. The shop is saying it is due to the tire size. I find it hard to believe switching from a 180 60r 16 to a 70's series would change the sensors ability to function properly. Any help or facts would be appreciated. Thanks..:)

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Sounds strange, but I'm not an electronic's guy. I do have a question.. When they installed the new sensor is there any setup or installation to register the monitor to the sensor? I have an 09 and I'm going to check the book to see if anything is mentioned.

From what I understand the sensor monitors air pressure within a certain range (mfg specs) and when the tire pressure goes down by 10% the light TPMS light flashes. When the pressure goes beyond the 10% range then the light stay on.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they did all the factory resets and then called Honda and Honda's reply was that tire might be messing up the sensor. I have heard from others that they run this tire and have no problems though.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
What pressure are you running in the tire? Is it the same as the OEM size tire?

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Sounds to me like its a problem with the sensor.. I would try one thing to see if it would correct the problem. Just a guess, but I would deflate the tire down to about 10 lbs or so. Have it on the center stand and be careful not to break the bead away from the rim. Start the bike, let everything register on the TPMS. Shut off the bike and re-inflate the tire to the 41 psi, start her up and see if that resets the sensor. Don't know if that will make a difference, but seems strange that nothing was wrong before the original sensor was broken, and if others are running the same tire and their TPMS is not going off, then everything points to the new sensor..

Good luck, keep us informed...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
First I want to ask why are you putting a 70 series on an 09? Honda corrected the speedo error on the 09"s. I put one on my 08 but I had the speedo error.
I would be very surprised if the tire size has anything to do with it, the TPMS measures pressure not size, with the after market TPMS it doesn't matter what bike or tire you put it on, I think your dealer is doing what most dealers that don't know anything about a Wing except how to take your money, is blowing smoke.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Putting the tire on for the extra height and ease of using the center stand. Also to drop the rpms at higher speeds since I ride the freeways way too much,lol..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
That's fair, but remember you won't be able to rotate the back wheel to clean or check when on the center stand unless you put something underneath it, also don't leave the bike in neutral, it can and will roll off the center stand if parked on a slight incline. I didn't notice any drop in RPM's when I switched. If they tell you that the TPMS is not working because of the tire size change you can go back to the stock size and get a ride off stand for it.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya thanks for the info joe. I really never clean the bike anyways. I just ride it, and once in a while take it in to the detail shop to have them clean it.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Two Wheel Wing, I tried what you said but to no avail. The shop is going to try a new sensor will update when done. Thanks..

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
My money is on the sensor. If the shop broke the first one, it's very possible they incorrectly installed the new one, or it's faulty. Keep us posted.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey new update not related to the tire.. I was up in northern Minnesota and a Deer decided he wanted to use the same part of the road that my bike was on. Now there is a dead Deer on the side of the road and I have to take my bike to the shop for a new Air Bag and some cosmetic body parts. I knew I bought the Air Bag model for a reason,lol.. Bike never hit the ground either.. I am still trying to get the sensor fixed and now they will have the bike for a few days to figure it out.. I will keep you posted..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts