Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having rode cruisers with no shields up till now Im probably asking the stupidest question on here but here goes. What is something that is good for making water bead off the wind shield that wont harm it? Ive been told rainx is a no no.
Ive heard car wax and furniture polish like pledge. surfed the net for a bit and found conflicting stuff on the furniture polish and car wax doesnt work that great on a car so figure not so hot on a bike shield. Being the hillbilly sort of poor boy I am Im lookin for something that doesnt cost 20 bucks for four ounces. I do ride in the rain quite a bit and the sheild is driving me nuts trying to see thru it though not getting beat to death is nice.:D
Does the furniture polish work? And will it harm my wind shield?:confused: Thanks be safe Ghost

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I use wax on my 08, I do it every time I wax my bike, about once a month. If you can find a product called RejeX use that, I normally use it but I'm out right now. It's about $20.00 for a bottle but it works great on the bike and windshield. Do not use RainX it will destroy your windshield,

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
I use Plexus. It is about $8 for 7oz can $12 for 12 0z can. The 7oz can fits real nice on a ledge in side bag wrapped in towel & I usually clean windshield as needed each morning on the road. It makes the water bead nicely like Rain-x.

As a matter of fact that leads me to a hijack of thread. It works so well that in rain I have an issue with the Xtall windshield that water runs up to top lip & drips right onto controls.
Does anyone have any experience with the use of a laminar lip edge? Either manufactured or self engineered that would stop the flow at the edge preventing dripping?

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
+1 for Plexus. Works great on the whole bike and does not damage the windscreen.

Fossil: I have heard of some folks using tubing like the stuff used on fish tank filters and cutting it and sliding it over the edges of the windscreen. I guess other types of tubing would work also. It has to fit snug unless you want to glue it down, which I don't know if I would do. Do some google searches and you may find other methods. Good luck.

Hey, by the way, off to the BRP on Monday for 3 days to go see the leaves. Hope the weather cooperates.

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
Fossil: I have heard of some folks using tubing like the stuff used on fish tank filters and cutting it and sliding it over the edges of the windscreen. I guess other types of tubing would work also. It has to fit snug unless you want to glue it down, which I don't know if I would do. Do some google searches and you may find other methods. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip, I have also been thinking about clear aviation tape (a small strip). I was thinking that it might cause the water to run off to the side????

Hey, by the way, off to the BRP on Monday for 3 days to go see the leaves. Hope the weather cooperates.
It appears as though the weather is going to be fine. Have a great time & ride safe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I guessing since nobody mentioned it that pledge furniture was doesnt work very well. Ill give some of the stuff you guys mentioned a try.
I did pledge the shield this morning since had a run to do and it was calling for rain. It cut the bugs and left the shield clear as glass but still dont know how it will bead water.
Ill clean it off and get some of one the kinds of stuff you guys mentioned.
Thanks be safe Ghost

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just to throw a wrench in the gears: You should be looking OVER the windshield - not through it. At least, that's how I see it. I had to remove my winshield and cut about 2" off it to make it workable. More wind buffeting but good vision.

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
TL, you are correct on stock heigth windshield however you would have to be aprox 7 ft tall & a long torso to look over the Xtall windshields. Their purpose is to get you out of turbulence & such.

Anyway that's why that outfit Basken-Robbins exists. Not everyone likes Vanilla.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just to throw a wrench in the gears: You should be looking OVER the windshield - not through it. At least, that's how I see it. I had to remove my winshield and cut about 2" off it to make it workable. More wind buffeting but good vision.
The taller windscreens for those of us that are over 6' are made to look THROUGH them. Cee Bailey is one of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tulsa Enterprises sells a product called "210". I've used it for several years and my windshield is unbelievably clear, and the rain beads off better than with anything else I've tried.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used Lemon Pledge for about 8 years on my windshields and have seen no adverse effects. It also helps fill in scratches. Not only that but it's cheep and easy to find.
Bill

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well tried the Pelxus and gotta say love the stuff. After the first application bugs and junk just wipe right off. Beads water drys really clear. As long as I can find it around here thats what ill be goin with.
Got the same thing with water beading and coming up over the shield running down the back side.
Ours doesnt have the xtall windshield so I can with a bit of streatching see over the sheild if I realy need to but so far there hasnt been much need to.
Thanks for the info Ghost

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
Ghost glad it worked out for you. I guess having water bead is going to lead to drip off windshield. I am going to play around with some different things I'll let you know if I find something that helps.

As far as buying Plexus. I usually get it shipped in because our local guys don't carry it. I'm sure Dennis Kirk has it & they sponsor the site, but if they don't I know Wingstuff does.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fossil guess im lucky the local Honda dealer carries it. Got a 7 oz can but seems like the stuff goes a long way. Thanks for the advise folks be safe Ghost

1 - 17 of 17 Posts