Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started out on a Goldwing GL 1800 as my first bike. I had taken the motorcycle safety course before buying my bike. I started riding it slow around neighboorhood streets in the early morning when there was no traffic. I then started riding on heavily traveled main streets and hiways in the early morning when there was light traffic. I dont speed and am a very conservative rider and have not had any problems. I thought you could start out on any bike because you have to get the feel of it. If you can already ride a motorcycle and pass the motorcycle safety course why is it better to start out on a small light motorcycle as your first bike purchase?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think as long as your are a sensible person you could start on a Hayabusa but probably not a boss Hoss. I had a rear tire blow on a V8 Kannon once, that was exciting. I did not go down but I finished up in the ditch on the other side of the road and I was 2 up.
Point being, experience played a role in the outcome I'm sure. Only thing that happened to me was temporary hearing loss due to the screams coming from the passenger.:eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did my safety course and got my motorcycle license on a GL1100 which I purchased before being licensed back in '89. I figured if I couldn't get the course and the license on the bike of my choice, why the heck get it. I tell you, I sure felt comfortable knowing that it worked out from the start.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bravo!

...If you can already ride a motorcycle and pass the motorcycle safety course why is it better to start out on a small light motorcycle as your first bike purchase?
Just keep riding defensively and conservatively and you'll be fine.

I believe the conventional wisdom is meant for those who don't have enough sense to recognize their own limits (e.g. "crotch-rocket cowboys). Obviously, you are a smart man, taking it slow and easy and building your confidence and skill level in the right way.

Ride Safe!

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
some crotch-rocket cowboys ride other bikes goldwings included

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Deep Blue - Slow and easy is the advice that most are giving you and it is so very true. I have been riding for 40 years and have been a motorcyle instructor and I am certianly respecting my new Goldwing. Their is no short cut to experience in the saddle. The course is a great start, but time in the saddle of a new bike is essential. You seem to be doing all the things right by taking it slow and a little at a time. Your next big move will be with a passenger. They sit higher which raises the center of gravity but you will only notice this when stopping and pulling away. Good luck with your new partner in freedom.

·
Registered
97 Posts
...If you can already ride a motorcycle and pass the motorcycle safety course why is it better to start out on a small light motorcycle as your first bike purchase?
First off, kudos to you for having the confidence to start on the 1800 and to take it slow and easy.
I still think the traditional advice is right for most people. A Goldwing is a BIG, HEAVY hunk of machinery, and while it's well-balanced and responsive for its size, if things go bad they'll go bad quickly. This is just one of the laws of physics (momentum: Things in motion tend to stay in motion). If your rear wheel breaks free, it's probably easier to recover on a smaller bike than on a wing. I'm glad I learned some things on smaller bikes (350, then 700) before I got the GW. Having said that, sounds like you're doing it the right way for you - Enjoy!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I started riding when I was 9. 61 now. I took the rsc to blow the dust off after not riding for 5 years. Well worth the money. Just wait till fall to take it. I went in the summer in Texas and after three days of getting on and off that bike while it sat in the sun I had a nice 1st deg burn on my behind. A Gold Wing is so well ballanced with a low center of gravity that it isnt hard to ride. Go practice your low speed manuvering in a parking lot.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I've had a few motorcycles in my time. My thought is to get the bike you want first so you don't have to upgrade to it later (money saver). The only problem I can think of with starting on a larger bike is you have to respect how little throttle to twist into. If you're a conservative rider you'll grow into it just fine. Once you get used to the Wing's weight, superb handling, and comfort level, you'll never feel confident on a smaller bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.