Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... I HAVE NEVER DROPPED ANY OF MY WINGS CAME CLOSE A COUPLE TIMES AT LOW LOW SPEED TURNING ... MY NEIGHBOR HAD A COMPLETE REAR TIRE FAILURE ON CALIF. FREEWAY @ 65mph -2 UP ... THE CASE SAVERS KEPT SPACE UNDER THE BIKE AND ALLOWED THEM TO GET AWAY FROM THE BIKE ... BOTH SLID TO A STOP AND DIDN'T GET HIT BY ANY CARS ... VERY MINOR SCRAPES TO THEM (which shows how important it is to have correct riding gear ) ... BIKE SUSTAINED DAMAGE TO RIGHT SIDE ... (new handle bars-saddle bag-case saver some body work) ... THEY WERE RIDING AGAIN THE NEXT WEEK ... GULP ... I LOST MY BALANCE IN THE GARAGE AND TIPPED OVER ... DOES THAT COUNT ??? ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Been there. Done that. Got the tee shirt. Both my 98 and my 09 in the driveway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was reading where a few Ultra Classic owners have dropped theirs, is the Goldwing better balance than the Ultra? thanks. Oh I have dropped a big ruckus, my fault for not paying attention. thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Can't really comment since I've never owned an Ultra. But, given the weight distribution between a "flat 6" and a "V twin", I would think the Ultra has a higher center of gravity. So it would seem to me that the Ultra would be "top heavy", more so than the Wing. JMO. I know the Wing is pretty easy to pick up after it drops even thought it weights around 900 pounds.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Maybe?

Well, I had an 84 Aspencade w/8K on it; it was in mint condition and loaded with every chome and light piece in the known world.
I bought it that way. Very late one night....( broke the first rule ) NEVER ride tired!! At about 1:30AM after working all afternoon till midnight....I went out for a ride in the full moon..it was awsome!...I was trying to adjust some new driving lights...pulled into a plaza with a store that had a huge window, I could see the lights from the saddle..I made a couple of adjustments from the ground..then I realized I could just reach from the seat; made the final adjustment and was off.
I made 3 "RIGHT" turns kicked it up to about 80KM and then rounded a left sweeping turn..holy crap! The side stand was DOWN!:eek:
Went into a high speed wobble.....edged over to the soft shoulder...got back on the pavement....had both brakes locked.( or so I thought)...now there is a car comming straight at me...I was already standing up on the floor boards...I made like superman and JUMPED!!...Landed on the soft shoulder..cracked 3 ribs and lost 2 front teeth..still not sure what I hit with my mouth!
But, as I lay in the ditch, I could hear the bike...still running!! It did 3 end over ends, flipped onto the left side then the right side and slid about 150 ft. I will never forget that sound..bup~bup~bup~bup STILL running after all that!

There were a few teens in a car behind me that saw the whole thing, they went and shut the bike off...called an ambulance and took off cause they were all drinking...:confused:
Does that count as "dropping" my Wing???:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I had an 84 Aspencade w/8K on it; it was in mint condition and loaded with every chome and light piece in the known world.
I bought it that way. Very late one night....( broke the first rule ) NEVER ride tired!! At about 1:30AM after working all afternoon till midnight....I went out for a ride in the full moon..it was awsome!...I was trying to adjust some new driving lights...pulled into a plaza with a store that had a huge window, I could see the lights from the saddle..I made a couple of adjustments from the ground..then I realized I could just reach from the seat; made the final adjustment and was off.
I made 3 "RIGHT" turns kicked it up to about 80KM and then rounded a left sweeping turn..holy crap! The side stand was DOWN!:eek:
Went into a high speed wobble.....edged over to the soft shoulder...got back on the pavement....had both brakes locked.( or so I thought)...now there is a car comming straight at me...I was already standing up on the floor boards...I made like superman and JUMPED!!...Landed on the soft shoulder..cracked 3 ribs and lost 2 front teeth..still not sure what I hit with my mouth!
But, as I lay in the ditch, I could hear the bike...still running!! It did 3 end over ends, flipped onto the left side then the right side and slid about 150 ft. I will never forget that sound..bup~bup~bup~bup STILL running after all that!

There were a few teens in a car behind me that saw the whole thing, they went and shut the bike off...called an ambulance and took off cause they were all drinking...:confused:
WOW. God must have been with you.

·
Registered
692 Posts

... BOY HOWDY ... SOUNDS BETTER THAN ANY CIRCUS SHOW I EVER SAW ... WOW ... GLAD YOU SURVIVED ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ha Ha Ha.....more Times Than I Want To Admit,my Wing Falls At A 45 Degree
Angle With The Crash Bars So Usually Im Mad Enough To Pick It Up,recently I Was Changing My Headlite Bulb And Wasn't Using The Work Stand And She Fell Against The Wall And Snapped Off The Mirror.i Called My Son The Cycle Mechanic To Order Another And He Asked,did You Wreck? I Said Yea,but Only In The Garage This Time!!(rubber Side Down) Lazz

·
Registered
201 Posts
Slider

Rainy morning full Leathers,Rainrider suit over,83 Interstate,heading to work. Pavement troughs from heavy truck tires compressing the pavement over years of use. Water in the troughs maybe 1 inch deep. Light throttle accelerate to pass a "B-Train Semi" rear wheel lost traction and tried to pass the front wheel,still steering straight,high sided at 60 mph. Bike slid & stayed the on pavement,I bailed, did'nt want to get tangled up with the bike.Slid feet first like a water slide into the ditch.Broke my left leg,did'nt know it. Two guys stopped helped lift the bike up,I rode home.5 weeks in a leg cast then therapy to get muscle tone back.Back on the bike,never looked back since,life happens,conclusion-watch wet pavement like a hawk and "Slow down when you see pavement troughs and ruts.

Robert
85 GW LTD.
Go Ride :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have found the Wing rather easy to pick up if properly done. ( "Thats all I'm going to say about that.")

·
Registered
201 Posts
Picking up GW

I have found the Wing rather easy to pick up if properly done. ( "Thats all I'm going to say about that.")
Yes,I usually picked up my 83 Interstate if it fell,like in wet grass or something.That one time I could'nt but there was a good reason,my left leg did'nt want to work very well, ha ha, funny now,not then.

Ride on!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is there a t-shirt for that ? Cause I need one.getting the Wing into my garage, I have to go up a slight grade, and then a ramp over the footing on the garage. Halfway in one day, I screwed up somehow and over the big blue girl went. No damage other than a broken heart but because of the ramp, the usual lifting thing didn't work. Well, couldn't walk for a week and I'm still nervous getting the girl in and out. But I can only get better with practice.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Is there a t-shirt for that ? Cause I need one.getting the Wing into my garage, I have to go up a slight grade, and then a ramp over the footing on the garage. Halfway in one day, I screwed up somehow and over the big blue girl went. No damage other than a broken heart but because of the ramp, the usual lifting thing didn't work. Well, couldn't walk for a week and I'm still nervous getting the girl in and out. But I can only get better with practice.
:D :D ... TRAINING WHEELS (giggle - giggle) ... :D :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would suffer the embarassment of training wheels if I knew I could get the big blue girl in the garage safely! After this latest trip, The little lady has even commmented that I handle the bike much better...less nervous. Soooo, hopefully, it won't go down again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dropping

Yep,
I've dropped both of mine. I was able to pick up my 81 GL1100 with out too much exertion. That was a few years ago when I was much younger. I,m riding a 95 GL 1500 now and it seems a bit heavier. I dropped it when coming to a slow speed stop and loosing my footing because I didn't watch to be sure the ground was level. I was on a overlook on the Blue Ridge parkway riding solo. There wasn't enough room to get under the bike but I was lucky enough to have a fellow biker and his wife stop and help me get it back on the side stand. You can bet I'll return that kindness every chance I get. No damage to the bike, massive damage to my ego. I'm considering carrying a deflated basket ball that I can slide under the crash bar or engine and inflate with a 12vdc compressor. If this works it should lift the bike high enough to push it upright. I haven't tried this yet but if it works I'll post.
Hewy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yep

has anyone ever dropped their goldwing? thanks
Everyone tests the bank sensor now and then. If you say you haven't dropped your bike your either lying or you haven't been riding long. One day the law of averages catches up on you--you're daydreaming backing out of the garage and your foot rolls on the hose or an acorn or gravel or something.

Believe it or not, you can lift it by yourself if you use the proper technique. Just turn the bars so that you can put your back to the bike and still grab both grips. Keep your arms straight and lift with your legs.

If lifting from bike laying on left side, be ready to use the heel of your foot to drop the side stand once the bike is high enough. If lifting from the bike laying on the right side, you start by puting the side stand down and use the same technique, but once up, gently drop onto the side stand.

Try it out on a tarp, but until you're confident, have help handy if you need it.

BTW: You can pull the rear tire without a lift using this technique. Google this subject to find videos, etc.

Good Luck,

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
sofar i've dropped the 1200 four times. the 1500 had one of those kickstand extensions on it when i got it, all nice and chrome lookin good but you couldn't park on any incline and one day the wind blew the bike over into my convertable. the extension came off and now i have a broken mirror houseing on the wing and a big dent to remove from the quarter panel of the mustang

1 - 20 of 61 Posts