Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me introduce myself. I am an older rider who has owned a baker's dozen motorcycles beginning with clapped-out old British bikes back in the sixties, to many fine Japanese bikes, a BMW and finally my ultimate ride, my 2008 GL1800 GoldWing. I joined this forum back in September, but I have been lurking up until now because I had nothing of much interest to report. Until the other day, that is, when I dropped my Wing.
I couldn't believe I could possibly be so careless. I was straddling the bike while it was on the center stand. I eased it forward off the center stand and began adjusting something on the instrument panel. When I was finished, I just let the bike fall gently to the left because I assumed the side stand was down. Well guess what folks - the side stand was up and I went down with the bike. I was thrown clear, but the sound of the crash as the bike hit the poured concrete garage floor was deafening.
I was then confronted with two problems. One was getting the bike upright and the other was assessing the damage caused by the crash. I had recently seen a Youtube clip of a mature guy picking up a dropped Wing so I applied this technique with my bike. Once I found the right placement of my feet to make sure I was leveraging the bike with my legs and not my back, I was able to raise it sufficiently to support the bike with the kickstand. It was actually easier than I thought it was going to be. Once I got the bike upright, I carefully checked over my Baby for damage and was amazed to find nothing. There was not a scratch anywhere on the bike that I could see including all that expensive Tupperware. Those engine guards on the Wing do not look very substantial, but they certainly are engineered to protect the bike from damage. I was so relieved! I just thought I would pass this on as a reminder to never be complacent or distracted when taking a Wing off its center stand. Always have have the side stand down as a safety precaution. That's all I got for now. I hope my experience will prevent some people from dropping their wings, but even if you do, it is not the end of the world..

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Tooslow, welcome to the forum glad you decided to join in, as you have probably noticed sometimes the rest of us don't have much to report either,we just bable:D And dont feel bad about dropping your bike, I done it too. Not once but twice I've backed my Wing in the shed and like you was fooling with something and then got off the bike without the stand down. So don't feel like the LoneRanger;)Hang around lots of good folks here.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
TS, welcome to the forum from Pa and welcome to the community of Wing droppers.. Your not alone.. We know that sinking feeling. Now that you have the bike upright, ride safe..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Welcome 'TS" I am sure you already know there are only two types of riders "THOSE WHO HAVE DROPED THEIR BIKES ------AND THOSE
WHO ARE GOING TO DROP THEM !

Welcome again from Southern Calif

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Welcome to the site TooSlow from another Pa. guy & I only have one other thing to say.

Been there Done that & didn't even get a lousy T-shirt.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF tooslow. the last time i dropped my wing the highway board landed on my foot, you would be surprised how light a wing is when it lands on your foot -)

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Welcome ToSlow to the forum and although I am not glad you dropped your bike, I am glad that I am not the only one that does this. I have an 08 also and have gently let it drop twice with my wife on the back. Maybe it is an 08 problem and not us. Like you, I was totally surprised by the fact that it never even put a scratch on the bike. Congrats on getting it up by yourself. Unfortunately for me I was riding with a group both times and they got to help me up with the bike and then rub it in for the rest of the ride.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome to the forum too slow, and glad you are ok, and your bike is ok. Now that you got the first drop out of the way, time to really put on the miles and enjoy it!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Welcome 'TS" I am sure you already know there are only two types of riders "THOSE WHO HAVE DROPED THEIR BIKES ------AND THOSE

Yep how true. I average about once a year. I lay it down on the guards. The last time Jeanne was on the back. She wasn't hurt but knows now to just sit there and hang on. She isnt going to stop it any more than me. (This is at low to 0 speed layover which happens when you have the forks turned and let it go too far.)

Dang it it is 70 deg out so I better git on her.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
right!

I've done it too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Only get off I ever had was dodging a pedestrian on the wing, and all it did was rash up the forward fairing a wee bit. Fireblade got knocked over in the garage and did $70 worth of damage, and it is still carrying battle scars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all those who have responded to my first post and thank you for all the support, folks. I am relieved to discover that I am not the only one who has dropped a Wing due to a moment of inattention. I agree with the thought that there are only two kinds of Wing riders - those who have dropped their bikes and those who have not dropped them (yet).
My handle on this site (TooSlow) may require an explanation. In no way is it in reference to the performance characteristics of my GL1800 GoldWing. Too Slow is a mild protest against the painfully slow speed limits of this over-policed Canadian province of Ontario. 80 kilometers per hour (50 MPH) is the maximum for any highway in this area and 100 kilometers per hour (60 MPH) for multi-lane divided highways. The penalties if caught speeding here are absolutely draconian. It is just too damn slow. Once again, thanks for all the comments and ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
No problem TooSlow we all share a common goal/interest.

My handle on this site (TooSlow) may require an explanation. In no way is it in reference to the performance characteristics of my GL1800 GoldWing. Too Slow is a mild protest against the painfully slow speed limits of this over-policed Canadian province of Ontario. 80 kilometers per hour (50 MPH) is the maximum for any highway in this area and 100 kilometers per hour (60 MPH) for multi-lane divided highways. The penalties if caught speeding here are absolutely draconian. It is just too damn slow. Once again, thanks for all the comments and ride safe.
Now you can ressurect another thread. The link below is to a thread telling each other how we acquired our screen names. Again lots of new guys on the site. They can share if they want.

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2093

·
Registered
27 Posts
consider yourself lucky!! i test rode a 2010 gl1800 the other day and it feels so light, like all the weight is in the wheels.

i drive a 1978 gl1000... this thing is heavy! all the weights up top, if i drop it,, gosh i dont even want to think about it!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I dropped my first GW several years ago. I had never heard of the technic your refering to until the other day on this site. Boy did I struggle to get it back up with the help of another. I was only 19 back then and in real good shape. I hope I never have one fall over again but if I do it wont be as hard to get back up now that I know about the technic I've seen on here.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It's bound to happen, That "senior" moment and down it goes. So far knock on wood it's not been my turn yet. I've heard more then once that the crashbars a well designed for such an occurance and glad to hear the tells are true. Anyway glad everythings OK and WELCOME to the site.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Dont feel bad Been there Done That. Glad your wing is ok they are like a Timex Watch they take a beating and keep on ticking

·
Registered
88 Posts
Their is a first for everything and that is ok as long as you learn something from it.Wish you the best with the Golwing.I have done much dumber things.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts