Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my Goldwing 2012 2 weeks ago and dropped it today for the first time.

I was coming out of the National Park and stopped at the stop sign and my foot slipped on the slimy surface (damp with leaves and twigs).
Down she went. As it was a down hill slope she rocked on the crash bars and damaged the door of the pannier. It looks like it will just need the door replaced which looks straightforward.

I am not sure if you can just buy the door or if you need to buy the pannier complete.

I had just spent an hour practicing Uturns in the car park. It was only when I was on my way home that it happened.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mishap. Things like this happen and it all can be fixed and things will be fine once again.

It all happens pretty darn fast.

Glad the only thing hurt was your ego and your saddle bag.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear of your mishap. Things like this happen and it all can be fixed and things will be fine once again.

It all happens pretty darn fast.

Glad the only thing hurt was your ego and your saddle bag.
Thanks Larry,

If I remember correctly, you are are also a friend of Bill W?

John

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Hey Simo,

Sorry to hear it, man. Nothing that can't be fixed and you're OK, so....pull out your wallet!

I've written elsewhere in this forum that I focus first and foremost on road conditions, to the point of riding a stretch that I'd like to ride aggressively before I actually do so, checking for sand, oil, wet leaves, etc. They can mess up your day worse than most any mechanical failure.

Without footing at a stop, you're hurtin', period.

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Sorry to hear that she has gone down. It happens to the best of us. Good to see you are ok. Eric

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I am fine - no injuries except my pride. Did it front of lots of people. As Tatanka rightfully said it is a wallet job. I will be more vigilant with the surface that I put my feet down on next time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a Goldwing accessory (gl1800 2012)to protect the saddlebags from scratching in a situation where the bike rolls on the guards? (some type of piping that would fit onto the high point of the saddlebag).

I realise the crash bars protect the saddlebags on level ground but they are not protected on slopes.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Did the saddle bag door break or just get scratched? pictures? I am glad you came out of it unharmed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The saddle bag door has just been scratched. However, they are too deep to cut out. They will need to be filled and the door repainted. Either that or replace the door. I am not sure if I can buy a door.

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
thats not good news simo but i'm glad you didn't get hurt other than your pride. do you need a gremlin bell for the new wing :)

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Welcome to IDMWT, the "I dropped my Wing today" club, of which I am a member. We have many members and are always looking for new ones. LOL. Seriously, glad you were not injured, but most of us have done the same thing and felt the same.

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
Welcome to IDMWT, the "I dropped my Wing today" club, of which I am a member. We have many members and are always looking for new ones. LOL. Seriously, glad you were not injured, but most of us have done the same thing and felt the same.
Charlie. Thanks for not telling Simo about the time I tried to center stand my bike wearing only socks.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
I am a proud member of the IDMWT. I may start dropping mine from time to time just to keep dues paid.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Is there a Goldwing accessory (gl1800 2012)to protect the saddlebags from scratching in a situation where the bike rolls on the guards? (some type of piping that would fit onto the high point of the saddlebag).

I realise the crash bars protect the saddlebags on level ground but they are not protected on slopes.
My 1500 has a chrome bar that comes out and when the bike falls over, it lands on the bar rather than the saddle bag. I don't know if it was an add on or not.... but I am sure glad it was there when I was working on my cooler rack with the bike on the side stand and the entire mess rolled forward... "ops" is the operative word on that deal. The biggest problem on that tip over was the "just filled" cup of Starbucks coffee rolled off of my bike and deposited all over the Starbucks parking lot..... where moments before I was inside.....

Righting it up was a little more difficult as I had setup for solo camping and so there was quite a bit of gear on board. I got it back up before anyone could come to my rescue.... and got compliments on doing that. (lots of practice? no... just watched the video.)

On the way out of town..... I contemplated giving up the Wing... too heavy for me.... I am too old for this.... maybe this is not for me... all of those thoughts until the wind hit my face and all of that was forgotten.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Check with trike shops, you may find someone who is doing a trike conversion and is willing to sell off the unused parts from the conversion

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
Good point from blk93. I can get you the OEM part# if you want. A good body shop should be able to restore the damage too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts