Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:
OK just wanted to share my trip to the local coffee shop today. I like to sit out side on the wooden bench and just visit with who ever shows lots of great bikers to shoot the breeze with on the weekends. Now comes the fun part, just had handle bar standard type risers installed yesterday which moves the bars up 3/4 & back 1 3/4 & closer by 2 1/4. They also adjusted the all balls steering head bearings some. Got on the Wing that I use to know (because I put 6000 miles on her injust 6 months) and pulled the slow tight left turn on a slight down hill slope in the parking lot. Bike got real heavy real fast as I felt that my new hand position was not far enough apart to handle my misjudgment of the turn and down it went. I couldn't have picked a worse time to drop the Wing very embarrassing to say the least. I wasn’t to worried about picking the bike back up as I just changed the tires also this week and did the bike layover thing in my garage with no trouble at all. Then comes the fun, one of the younger HD riders (big arms in a tank top shirt) came running over and asked if he could help pick up the 935lb bike that I also just filled to the brim with gas. He was acting like the world was coming to an end with this situation at hand. Now I am 55 years old and not about to do anything in a big hurry these days, but that young man was acting like we should just grab the passenger handles and pick her right up. I said give me a moment and I will be in position to turn and back up into the seat and then you can use those big arms of yours. Well, I guess he couldn’t wait the 5 seconds and tried to pick the bike up before I got ready and in positionand I think it Damn near killed him. I think he tore his right arm bicep muscle as he shouted out in pain. That left me the old man to do the Goldwing pick up technique by myself. No problem, bike was picked up with only small scratches on the guards. I said thanks for the help and left my favorite coffee shop still in disbelief. So I was thinking about making some small rubber clear hose guards that you could just cut about 1 inch long from a clear 3/4 hose that Lowes sells and place them on the Wings guards for when it gets dicey again. Thanks for taking time to let me vent, Regards

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
I really like the standard position of the handle bars. That proves every little adjustment will take getting used to.:)
When, I got my Wing...the foot brake was higher than it is supposed to be. I had it put back in position and it took a few misses to get it right.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Gotta admit though....Big Daddy HD struggling with the lift eases the embarrassment.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The downhill off camber turns are tricky on a good day, I almost dropped mine coming out of a Wendy's the other day. Haven't dropped this one yet but I did my 1100 Shadow, just not as heavy. I am sure it happens to everyone at some point.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry to hear you dropped your bike. I dropped my 08, bought new in 10 shortly after I picked it up. I parked, the wife got off, I put the kickstand down, I did not visually check down, I heard it snap, but it had snapped back up. I slowly laid it down :eek: A HD guy and I put it back up, without a scratch. I am glad you did not get hurt.

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
Not to make Fun of you, But welcome to the Drop the Wing Club.:eek:

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have to say that the handle bars and controls are my only disappointment in my Wing. At 6'3" th e bars are a little low and the controls need to be rotated around a little, both of which I can't do,

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
Sorry to hear about the drop Eldon but most of us have been there. It happens.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Your preaching to the chior. Been there done that more than once. Ride safe and stay upright...

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have to say that the handle bars and controls are my only disappointment in my Wing. At 6'3" th e bars are a little low and the controls need to be rotated around a little, both of which I can't do,
I don't know about rotating the controls but the bars can be brought up with bar risers. Really an easy fix for about 1 hours work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've come close I'm sure I'll join the club some day! From a 600 to 1800 was a big difference. Glad you didn't get hurt and no major damage.

·
Administrator
25,902 Posts
Mine's been over twice. Once I deserved, onceMmother Nature conspired with. Never pretty, always embarrasssing:eek:

·
Premium Member
23,805 Posts
Never been down, won't go down, .... on this bike . I learned how to do that on the previous bike.

·
Administrator
25,902 Posts
Oh Prunella, what have you said?

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
Never been down, won't go down, .... on this bike . I learned how to do that on the previous bike.
Oh Prunella, what have you said?
He's a big shot Daryl. I just hope when it happens there aren't many people around. Especially ones from this forum.;)

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
I would love to be there to help him:eek: pick it up:p
What are friends for if not to laugh at you:D:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts