Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess my Wing is broke in now Sunday was out with the Wife,We stoped to get fuel and after filling I saw a nice shady area so I rode over there kinda on a downward incline not even that much of one (Still at the Gas Station),And I still do not know how It happened because it was so fast it went down I was still on it to. Luck had it someone on this site posted a video on how to pick a 1800 up, I am so glad I watched it. I broke my Kuryakyn Highway board but that was it.
Nothing on me got hurt but My Pride .

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Parts can be replaced , glad your O.K. The crash bars do a good job of protecting the bike when it goes down.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks and you are very right about the crash bars

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
Someone once posted, " I never owned a bike I hadn't dropped. " These words have always added comfort to my riding experience as I now know it is part of ownership. I tipped my 1300 twice on slow turns. Thank you for sharing this little mishap. Although I may not aspire to equal your episode at least I know I am amongst equals.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She was watching,And she told me to be more careful with her Wing LOL
I thought it was ours haha

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Glad you are okay. Droping a Wing seems like a "right of passage" for most of us. It's not a matter of "if" but more like "when". Glad the video helped easy your brused pride.

Ride safe and keep the dirty side down..

·
Registered
132 Posts
This thread is very soothing to me. When I bought my wing the salesmant told me "it isnt a matter of if, but when". I silently scoffed, "boy you dont know who youre talking to". I dropped it with in an hour with the wife on the back. Ive worn a paper sack ever since.....thanks guys

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, I know that feeling. I've had three bikes (Honda CB250, Honda VTX 1300s and now a Honda GL1200 Interstate) and with the exception of the Wing (I've only had the Wing for about three weeks), I've dropped them all.

I totalled my VTX after a high-side crash at about 45 mph. I bought it back from the insurance company as salvage, spent $1000.00 replaced the cosmetic damages and got to keep $5400.00 of the payout and I still have the VTX.

Even though the specs say that my Wing is only 60 lbs heavier than my VTX, it feels a lot heavier.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've thought about putting my LTD over deliberatly in controled circumstances just to see
how much heavier it feels to lift than my 83 Interstate was, but every time I end up chickening out for fear of scratching something cuz she's in pristine condition with a Collectors plate,anyone else think that way :) If it comes naturally "Oh Well thats life"but if I scratched it kind of on purpose I'd be smacking my forehead for a week after :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't be embarassed, at least you were riding yours. I was parking mine in the garage for winter and neatly tucked it into a spot next to the wall out of harms way. I was so pleased with myself for finding a nice safe spot I stepped back to admire my handiwork. The only problem was that I forgot to put the side stand down and over it went, gently mindyou but down on it's side. At least I was in my garage and no one saw me.:eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Billy12632 When I first got. my Wing, it had a weak kick stand spring that let the stand drop when hitting a bump in the road. I was doing some tight practice turns in a parking lot and a left turn let the stand gouge into the pavement. The result was a nasty spill and a broken ankle. Moral of the story, Check those kick stand springs

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've owned and ridden alot of bikes in the last 37 years, and I've only NOT dropped one, my ST. Every other one went down at least once, and more than one of them on the move. Never any injury to me or the Mrs, but some scary ones. knew55, what hers is hers, and whats yours is still hers:eek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dropped my Wing

New to the forum. (Having a bit of trouble navigating) New to Wings, too, physicallly, but had one, mentally, since the very first one! :-[)

Can someone please post the video, or tell me where to find it, of how to pick up a Wing? I'm sure its only a matter of time.....

Looking for a newer Wing. Bought a 1978 with about 22K on it this summer to see if I "really" wanted one. Its for sale. Show me a newer one to buy, at least 1500 CC. I'm hooked.

Randy
Pottstown PA

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too am new to Goldwings (switched from H-D Ultras last week) but have taught alot of people how to pick up thier bikes. One thing that will make it much easier is to reach down and put the transmission in 1st or 2nd and it will stop it from rolling when lifting.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep. Been there too. Slight slope on driveway. Those crash guards are well designed and placed. Only a slight scratch on the underside of them. No one saw me.. Whew!!. But your right, once you see your wing lying on it's side it does something to the mindset. You really won't hurt them, with that type of drop.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
She was watching,And she told me to be more careful with her Wing LOL
I thought it was ours haha
the wing was yours when you bought it and hers when she fell in love with it so take good care of her wing :) glad the damage was minor and you didn't get hurt

1 - 20 of 28 Posts