Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
Just got my new 2021 GW Tour. On previous bikes I have put on engine guards. I have never dropped one either. The GW seems to be rather vulnerable to engine cosmetic damage and saddlebag cosmetic damage in a drop. The little black plastic things by the engine are not going to be much help I think. (Funny -- driving home I had my son as a passenger -- he helped me drive in one of the bikes I traded in to get the GW. He thought the little back things (saddlebag exhaust protector) were the foot rests. He stepped on it and it pulled out of the muffler guard. It was also was easy to put right back on. Sturdy these are not.)

I was unable to find a post about this. Of course, there are so many different terms for these items -- drop bars, crash bars...etc,

Anybody with drop bars/engine guards/saddlebag bags on their 2018 + GW they would recommend? Are they even necessary? Am I just paranoid?

Thanks and best regards,
Curt

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I know there is a thread on here about it, but those little plastic protrusion cover the more substantial metal part underneath
I read that they had dropped there 18+ wing and like the older ones, no damage to the bike, marred the little plastic piece a smidge

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know there is a thread on here about it, but those little plastic protrusion cover the more substantial metal part underneath
I read that they had dropped there 18+ wing and like the older ones, no damage to the bike, marred the little plastic piece a smidge
Ah, O.K. Thank you.
Curt

·
Registered
305 Posts
National Cycle has a set of aftermarket engine guards. They provide more protection and a good mounting point for highway pegs, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,
Just got my new 2021 GW Tour. On previous bikes I have put on engine guards. I have never dropped one either. The GW seems to be rather vulnerable to engine cosmetic damage and saddlebag cosmetic damage in a drop. The little black plastic things by the engine are not going to be much help I think. (Funny -- driving home I had my son as a passenger -- he helped me drive in one of the bikes I traded in to get the GW. He thought the little back things (saddlebag exhaust protector) were the foot rests. He stepped on it and it pulled out of the muffler guard. It was also was easy to put right back on. Sturdy these are not.)

I was unable to find a post about this. Of course, there are so many different terms for these items -- drop bars, crash bars...etc,

Anybody with drop bars/engine guards/saddlebag bags on their 2018 + GW they would recommend? Are they even necessary? Am I just paranoid?

Thanks and best regards,
Curt
Well I'll speak from experience. I have essentially dropped the bike a total of four times. The first was after ten minutes of ownership (long story) and I was just heartbroken thinking I had just damaged my new bike. But no, those little guards actually kept the important parts (like the saddlebags and mirrors) from getting scratched etc. Well, again two more times, same result. Then comes the fourth and this one I was not seated on the bike, but closing the trunk and I had parked on a VERY SLIGHT decline having put it on the aftermarket ride on/off center stand. Well the bike moved off the center stand on its own. I tried to stop it from tipping over and grabbed the handlebar and it sort of stopped on the small guards but momentum kept it going over onto its side, resulting in scratched saddlebags and mirror. The motor, pipes etc were untouched. After this happening, I don't know how any of the add on engine guards that I have seen would have prevented this. In fact I think having them on might actually aid in the bike going over, passing the normal guards that are on the bike. I've seen a ytube video where a guy in the Miami area had a machinist install something like a T extension welded onto the existing guards/stops. I believe those would sort of be more favorable as it would stop the total tip over in most cases. The problem for me is, I have no resource to get something like that done or I would. I believe that if Honda made the existing just a tad longer it would be beneficial. The only positive for me was I have been able to find a new (due to a trike conversion) saddlebag cover on ebay and the mirrow cover from Partzilla. Not costing a whole lot total.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Had mine tip over (18 GW Tour) when making right turn. Truck came into my lane I stupidly hit front brake it stopped and tipped. Needed help to right it but no damage AT ALL! Little buggers work! Lesson to NEVER HIT FRONT BRAKE! In slow right turn! I am not sure how I could have hit rear happed too fast but no damage and I didn’t come off it just leaned over😎

·
Registered
298 Posts
Note to @pedropedro, you may wish to apply to join the esteemed IDMWT club, by going to that thread and describing your courageous recoveries from dropping your wing! I joined (#112) and am very glad I did! I'm so proud!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'll speak from experience. I have essentially dropped the bike a total of four times. The first was after ten minutes of ownership (long story) and I was just heartbroken thinking I had just damaged my new bike. But no, those little guards actually kept the important parts (like the saddlebags and mirrors) from getting scratched etc. Well, again two more times, same result. Then comes the fourth and this one I was not seated on the bike, but closing the trunk and I had parked on a VERY SLIGHT decline having put it on the aftermarket ride on/off center stand. Well the bike moved off the center stand on its own. I tried to stop it from tipping over and grabbed the handlebar and it sort of stopped on the small guards but momentum kept it going over onto its side, resulting in scratched saddlebags and mirror. The motor, pipes etc were untouched. After this happening, I don't know how any of the add on engine guards that I have seen would have prevented this. In fact I think having them on might actually aid in the bike going over, passing the normal guards that are on the bike. I've seen a ytube video where a guy in the Miami area had a machinist install something like a T extension welded onto the existing guards/stops. I believe those would sort of be more favorable as it would stop the total tip over in most cases. The problem for me is, I have no resource to get something like that done or I would. I believe that if Honda made the existing just a tad longer it would be beneficial. The only positive for me was I have been able to find a new (due to a trike conversion) saddlebag cover on ebay and the mirrow cover from Partzilla. Not costing a whole lot total.
Thank you. Is yours a gen 6 GW? The little drop bars just seem so small!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you. Is yours a gen 6 GW? The little drop bars just seem so small!
2019 DCT Tour - yes the drop bars are small however if the bike tips over, shall we say gently, they work great. My first three were like that and zero damage. This last time, because I believe I was not able to grab the handlebars correctly, the bike did stop for a moment on the tip over bars but momentum carried it past the bars onto the side causing the damage. Mind you it is very minor, just scratches, but enough that cosmetically it must be fixed with replacement parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts