Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I use the J&M elite headsets, but they are not wireless.

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
I use the Scala G4. The latest Scala G9 is out now. I didn't read anything significantly " new and improved " with the new G9's, except the ability to pair with more riders. As far as I know, the choice is between the Scala and the Sena. Both will give you about the same bang for the bucks, so it's really a matter of how many bucks.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I got U-Clear 200, its awesome! After i got it 4 of my friends went and got them too! No wires to worry about, your music, your 2-way radios, your phone, your GPS are always with you, and you can hook up to 10 riders at the same time!The distance it can reach when 10 riders hooked together equals 4 miles. Military technology, the mike is inside of your helmet, and excellent noise cancelling microphones. But costly - $220 for 1 or $399 for set of two. To me it's worth it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Like you I was interested in a new intercom system. I've seen folks using the Goldwing built-in audio system and no offense, but it looks like something my dad would use- big curly cord, no bluetooth support (unless you're willing to spend big bucks at J&M) and the need for yet another cord from my smartphone to the aux in. I did a real-life test of the SENA vs. Scala systems. Ultimately, I picked the SENA SMH10's only about three weeks ago.

My intercom requirements:
1) No cords to/from bike
2) I'm a sound nut. I need good quality sound (or as good as you can get on motorcycle).
3) I plan on streaming music from my smartphone which is on a Ram mount on the handlebar.
4) Wireless helmet-to-helmet intercom

I settled on the SENA's because they they did a brilliant job on ease-of use design and functionality. Two controls on the unit; one to activate the phone if you'd like to make a phone call (more on that later) and the other is a combined volume control and intercom activate button. It's all voice prompt ("Hello" on power up), etc. The intercom quality is nothing short of incredible. Plus it has a range of almost 2,000 feet.That's a bit short of half a mile. This means that you can do bike-to-bike and bike to car if you'd like. The only down-side is that unlike CB, the SENA outfit will only talk to another SENA. If found battery life to be +8 hours.

Yes, you can actually take a phone call while on the bike and your caller can hardly tell you're cruising down the road. It's that good. You answer the ringing phone by just pressing the button on the intercom once. (You guys who think its sacrilege to talk on the phone while riding, please don't bust my stones. To each his own. Besides it's no different than talking on the intercom)

While the volume was adequate to loud on the SENA's over-sized ear speakers, nevertheless I was disappointed in the music quality. I know I have unreasonable expectations, but I was looking for something closer to a good pair of over-the-ear earphones. I discovered Tork X-Pro speakers. I disassembled the SENA helmet bracket, unsoldered the stock speakers and soldered in the Tork speakers after cutting the plug that came with them. It was some carefulwork in a small space. But the difference is unbelievable! Definitely approaches a good pair of Dr. Dre's.

I shopped carefully for the SENA outfit. I found the SMH10D (the 'D' means double- includes a pair of intercoms which is probably what you want) on Amazon for $230. That's a deep, deep discount. The Tork speakers, if you want them cost me about $70. The other thing that's nice about the SENA system is that you can get a bracket that instead of having speakers at all, has a jack for you to plug in your favorite ear buds. That's not legal in some states, and I would think they'd be falling out all the time, but whatever.

I also stumbled across the new Bell Mag-9 SENA helmet. The Bell guys took a good looking helmet and partnered with SENA to provide a "built-in" look for the SENA intercom. I couldn't resist. Had to have it. It looks and works great.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Great explanation there wiz. My only complaint WAS linking everything together. the helmet kit comes pre-linked but I could not get the SM10 to link to both (the SM10 allows non-bluetooth devices to communicate via blue tooth to the helmets) but got that fixed. Now can play music via the bike, iphone, XM, etc. One thing to know, that I did not until a couple of days ago, is that you can only link the iphone via blue tooth to one helmet. This means if you want you and your passenger to listen to the same audio you'll need to plug in the onboard radio or your iphone via the SM10. Once I figured that out and got them linked I have a lot of options. Still need to get my XM roady mounted somewhere and connected to the SM10, will have XM over the helmets via bluetooth and then intercom goes over the top of that.

I'm not as picky that I need to upgrade the speakers, they are WORLDS better than the J&M that came with my bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.