Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to how many of you have driver floorboards on your bikes. I had them on both my previous wings and really liked them. I had Marklands on my 1200 and Kuryakins on the 1500. I'm leaning towards the Kuryakins again, but it seems like there is less room near the pegs on the 1800 than I remember on the other two bikes, and I have fairly large feet (12's). Anyone noticed this?

·
Registered
143 Posts
difference

there is a difference in foot room between the 4 and the six cylinder, my twelve hundred had loads of room, not my 1500, had to fab the pegs and seat for my comfort. Linden:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Kuryakin Ergo II pegs

Has anyone tried the Ergo II pegs? They seem pretty wide but are clearly not floorboards. The amount of space on the GL1800 seems pretty limited for say the Kuryakin floorboard w/heel - toe shifter kit. Thoughts anyone????

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Coach: I just put in my Christmas wish to Mrs. Claus for a set of the Kuryakin mini boards (Wingstuff p/nKU4453) and the heel toe shifter kit (Wingstuff p/nKU4039). All the reviews I've read are solid positives so I'm going for it. I have the ISO highway boards and love 'em. Like you I was concerned about space, although most reviews of the full boards are good. Haven't heard too many good things about side stand extensions however, and full boards and the shifter seem to get in the way of the stand tang access. I'll wait and see.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Has anyone tried the Ergo II pegs? They seem pretty wide but are clearly not floorboards. The amount of space on the GL1800 seems pretty limited for say the Kuryakin floorboard w/heel - toe shifter kit. Thoughts anyone????
I have them on my GL1800 and really like them. Very solid and comfortable. Don't have floor boards because of a short 29" inseam.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the Kuryakyn adjustable highway mounts with the full boards. However, the way I have them adjusted, they're not too far from the regular pegs. So if I put floorboards on, then I'm really limiting the room for my feet to get to the ground even though I'm fairly tall. Besides, I like the regular pegs. It seems to allow for more adjustment when riding. Lyndon

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have them but would rather have pegs. The boards get in the way of my feet when I go to put them down. I'm a short little guy, so I only have so much leg to go around.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been toying with this idea too, I’ve always had pegs and I think that the guys I know who have the floor boards just like them. No real right or wrong answer. I have the Kuryakyn stilettos highway pegs and that is all I really need. 7th bike and I’ve always done the highway bar with peg thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have FloorBoards on my 2007 venture and feel boards can't be beat for long rides. never really used the heel shift option and after accidentally shifting into neutral when picking my feet up onto the boards considered cutting off the heel portion of the shifter. I am tall with 34 inseam. planning on boards for my 2004 wing, but only toe shifter. Any thoughts?

Oldfossil

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You resurrected this old thread, but I have a Kuryakin h/t shifter on my '09. I've ordered full boards for it now too to match the highway and passenger boards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would love to have boards. If you have them and want to swap them out let me know. Gimmie a price.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Floorboards w/o shifter?

Having ridden a Police Motor for 25 years, I've come to really like floorboards. However, I was able to remove the heel shifter to give me more room to move my feet back. I notice that most heel/toe shifters that come with the floorboards are one piece. Does anyone make floorboards without the shifter as part of the purchase price? :confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not recommended for two reasons 1) lean angle is reduced before metal scraps
2) many who use floorboards with the wing also put a toe/heel shifter with it. This has been known to cause shifter forks issues leading to ghost shifting

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got the boards mounted this w/e and I love them. I've a two day run starting this afternoon so that should be a good test. I'm amazed at the increase in foot room and the added comfort they give. Shouldn't be surprised after having boards on my previous Wings but am very pleased. Haven't noticed an appreciable loss of cornering clearance either, but we'll see. There are some decent skid pads on the underside but I reckon I'll wear them down a might;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed the Kuryakyn floorboards with heel/toe shifter and I think they are great. Before I purchased them, I sat on a friends bike who had them just to make sure I could still reach the ground as I have only a 30" inseam. Have no problem whatsoever with them. Put the passenger transformer boards on for the wife and she loves these too.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My wife has had the Transformers for a couple seasons now. At first she didn't really say much so I thought I'd wasted the money on them. Then we had a long day and she used the upper peg position alot. Different story now, she luvz em!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've heard that "big feet" and floor boards don't work? I have size 14's. I'm going to look around at bike nite and see if I can find a Wing with floorboards, perhaps the owner will let me sit in the saddle and check them out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Boards

I have them on the new bike. I had them on the old. Yes the ones on the VTX did scrape but only in fast deep turns. The Wing is a little bit lower at zero and may scrape a bit sooner (but the aftermarket boards seem narrower width wise than the stock VTX)

I had the heel/toe and floor boards put on at time of purchase. I did ride a few Wings with only stock setup.

Stock setup : Braking didnt seem natural ... an odd foot angle to deploy the brake ..maybe even a little painful. Shifting was ok. But not much variety in foot position (for stretching/position change)

Kuryakyn Heal/Toe with Floor boards : Brake lever angle too high. Requires that foot is lifted up off the floorboard which makes for tricky slow speed maneuvering. Shifting is ok if using the heel to shift up. But .. both down shifting and upshifting with toe portion is cramped.

So Im considering going to the ISO Pegs and the more straight brake pedal. HOWEVER, I just come back from lunch. I went over to the local "Goldwing dealer". I talked to a guy there who has 3 wings, is retired and works at the dealership "doing what he loves". I told him about the issues I have. He told me, "I dont want to recommend anything to you until I see you on the bike." Best advise I could've gotten up to this point. ... let you know how it works out. But the heal/toe may be up for sale cheeeeep .. We'll have to see.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I met Dean at Team Power Sports in Garner NC. I believe another board member recommended him. Hes is a nice guy. There were plenty of Wing owners waiting to get stuff done. Those guys are a bunch of clowns but all were cool and very willing to help address concerns I had. All of them suggested not making any changes on the bike until I could witness what "it" looked like and felt like on other bikes. They just recommended that I pop in every now and then.

He installed the MBL risers. Nice ride adjustment and also readjusted the brake pedal. Its now in a more ergo friendly spot and slow maneuvers feel much more natural. Just a bit higher than the floorboard itself. Just requires a swing of the toes pivoting on the boot heel. The toe/heel shifter is still kind of cramped and at times temperamental but Ill live with that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts