Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,just ordered a new utopia backrest for my new 2012. After the fact what is the opinion out there about the backrest? Read a lot of positive reviews about it, but wanted some your opinions. The more I ride the more I love the bike. The boss says we should have done this a long time ago:D Thanks for your input,Clayboy ;)

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
I can say that the Guys who have the Utopia all rave about it, as the preferred choice. Glad you & the important passenger are having fun.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fossil92. We have been having fun. As for as the backrest I backed out,just can't bring myself to cut the seat:(

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
I don't want to make light of the task nor spend your money but I think you may want to revisit that decision. I'm sure lots of the other guys will tell you from the seating position of the Wing that a backrest almost becomes essential.

Just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

Ride Safe

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Love my Utopia.Would not ride without one. Between that and the Highway pegs the comfort is as good as it's going to get and it's good enough for me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I didnt know the Utopia even existed before I installed the Kury model.
Kury works fine, does the Utopia work better, I don't know.
Having anything at all to rest your back against is a life saver. Would never ride without a back rest.
I do know that you can bend the bars supporting the Kury model, as well as slide it back and forth on the 3 included available positions to allow for infinite adjustment.
Backrest on the wing is a must, more comfort, more better!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks fossil92. We have been having fun. As for as the backrest I backed out,just can't bring myself to cut the seat:(
On another note, you don't have to cut the seat on the Kury model.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have done long mutli-day long distance trips without the backrest and with it. I would never ride for any distance again without it.

As far as cutting the seat, watch the Steve Saunders video online. I did several times before I made my first cut and had it playing on my laptop in the garage while I was cutting the seat. A template on where to cut is provided with the backrest. Once you get past the anxiety, it is pretty easy complete the install.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I love mine.....had it installed but since then I installed the spoiler myself, so I could do the backrest. I don't use it all the time, but it's really nice to have it there when I want to relax my position & my back. My wife is tiny so it won't get in the way either when she rides with me.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Love my back rest,couldn't do long rides without it. Go for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Backrest

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm still ponderin:p the idea, I did order foot pegs (be here Friday):). Guess I'll go for a ride:D Have a great day and be safe.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have a Utopia and never regret it for long rides. I'm sure other brands work essentially the same. I wouldn't own another Wing without a backrest.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Installed the Utopia on my 2012. Cutting the seat is no big deal. After all said and done looks like it came stock. You can do it. As suggested watch the video and follow the instructions that come with the kit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does the Utopia fold forward? My other half can't seem to get on the bike if I'm in the seat first so she get on and slides back to her seat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks dinstar and all the for the confidence building. I reordered the backrest tonight. I have watched the video several times, so when it gets here I'll take a deep breath and make the cut:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just know what you are going to do before you do it & post a photo of it so we can cheer your success!

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Thanks dinstar and all the for the confidence building. I reordered the backrest tonight. I have watched the video several times, so when it gets here I'll take a deep breath and make the cut:)
You get those highway pegs and backrest on and you will increase your mileage comfort twofold. On those long scenic highway rides it really puts you in the cockpit. From a strictly " cool " aspect and ease of installation I like the bar mounted style backrest until I saw a number of them for sale on the forums because the bar rubbed on the Mrs. legs and she was not happy. Would it happen in my case ? I don't know but I didn't have a local rider available with one to test on Mz. Vickie. I took the better safe than sorry route.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys, I'm anxious now to get it, and get it on (I'll take my time in the installation and check the video again):D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts