Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new driver's backrest option. My 1988 GL1500 came to me with a Markland model. When it is set for my comfortability, it is wide enough, that it really rubs into my wife's legs making her uncomfortable. Are there other good options out there from all of you that ride with passengers? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Scott, I don't know if this will be any better but you can check it out. Hope it helps.

http://www.utpr.com/goldwing.html

I have a Hartco seat w/ backrest built in & the little lady has no issue with the room she has, if you decide that you want to ever change seats I would recommend it.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The Utopia is the way to go, hardest thing is getting up the nerve to cut the seat. Measure three time and cut once, not a bad jod, I did nime.

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Utopia works for me, and her.
I take it that Mz.Vickie has finally saddled up for a ride?;) She has faith that you have enough seat time? HAHAHA

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I take it that Mz.Vickie has finally saddled up for a ride?;) She has faith that you have enough seat time? HAHAHA
Al Contrar! It was a dry run. Didn't even turn the bike on. Were talking about a girl who won't get on an elevator. I mentioned to her that you won't find a better opportunity to be a back seat driver than on a motorcycle. We have a new neighbor, colonel stationed at the Pentagon, with a cruiser that rides with his wife. Vickie said we " should " double up with them. I think she just needs the visual support of other riders with her, kind of like the herd instinct. We're pulling for you Vickie!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
if he is doing any cutting why not just cut the backrest he has

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. The Utopia sounds great and looks like one job I could probably do myself. Detdrbuzzard poses an interesting question. Could the current backrest be cut narrower, still function well and somehow be recovered to look good? Or...does Markland make replacement backrest pads in different sizes?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts