Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on drink holders but found very few on the forums. I have an 08 GL1800 and am looking for a drink holder. I am looking for quality and don't mind giving a little extra to get a good quality drink holder. My requirements are: Not to bulky, just big enough for an enclosed coffee container, won't flip over, doesn't stick out and cover the airbag port and would like it in black. Now that being said I don't want to seem to picky but this is my first Goldwing after owning a cruiser, and Yamaha Royal Star Venture. Now I've found the Goldwing and dang what I've been missing. I'm looking for opinions of owners that have bought cup holders and either love or hate the ones they bought. Thanks for the help.

Jeff
Mesquite Texas:D

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I'm shopping right now for one. " Joe in Calif " lightly modified a cup holder from a bicycle shop for about $10.00. Looks promising. " Poncho Ramrod " also did a self version. All of my " stuff " so far has come from " WingStuff.com " . If you haven't been to that site yet, you need to be . The link : http://wingstuff.com/category.php?cname=gl1800 . I have a cup holder there just waiting for me to click and buy, but for some reason I just can't commit until I check out the bicycle shop options.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm shopping right now for one. " Joe in Calif " lightly modified a cup holder from a bicycle shop for about $10.00. Looks promising. " Poncho Ramrod " also did a self version. All of my " stuff " so far has come from " WingStuff.com " . If you haven't been to that site yet, you need to be . The link : http://wingstuff.com/category.php?cname=gl1800 . I have a cup holder there just waiting for me to click and buy, but for some reason I just can't commit until I check out the bicycle shop options.
Which one at wingstuff are you wanting to buy. I've been through all of there holders and the one I wanted has a 1 star rating.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Incidentally gentlemen, with the foam insert you can hold fruit ! Nothing like munching on an apple at red lights. I'm thinking of adding another for cheese, condiments, etc.....a small carafe for some wine ! Ah, nothing like the comfort of a Goldwing.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
txweenydog. I'm looking at these two possibles so far. I like the first pictured one's compact size and some auto flat black paint will take care of the nasty chrome. The second pictured one has caught my eye also and I don't know why. I would certainly get the small 20 oz. size if I chose this one. All I know right now is I have nothing and every time I stop I wonder why. I would love to sip a cup of hot green tea during these cool spring day rides.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
This is the one I was looking at getting. I got to see it at Al Lambs Honda of Dallas and It looked ok to me. Kuryakyn has been pretty good to me. There was only one review and it was bad. 1 star and he said it was terrible quality. Have any of you seen or know someone that has used this one.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/27017_Kuryakyn_Snap_N_Go_Drink_Kit_Or_Basket_Fits
Wow! One review and not a friendly one at that. Of course the reviewer said " lousy directions " . What kind of direction do you need to mount a cup holder ? I'm going to gamble with my wifes money here and bet this reviewer is a crackpot. I'm going to order this tomorrow just to find out if I'm right about the " crackpot ". I'll be the crash test dummy on this one for you tex. Be patient.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Charlie. Does this holder adjust for personal coffee mugs, say a stainless steel 20 oz Starbucks mug ?
Yes it does. As long as it's not too tall it should work. I mostly use it with 20oz soda bottles or water bottles. Simple design. Flips open and provides a platform for drink. Adjust grips around bottle/cup and away you go. Works for me, especially since it flips up and out of the way when not in use...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chop you are the man. When you put it like that I just had to sit back and laugh. I'll be patient. I wasn't looking to purchase anything until Friday. That's when I'm ordering the vented belly pan from wingstuff. I've already had a couple of close calls and I'm just a 2800 mile Goldwing baby.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Chop you are the man. When you put it like that I just had to sit back and laugh. I'll be patient. I wasn't looking to purchase anything until Friday. That's when I'm ordering the vented belly pan from wingstuff. I've already had a couple of close calls and I'm just a 2800 mile Goldwing baby.
I'm ordering it right now. If I don't like it I'll give it to you and you can use it as a bracelet.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
OK txweenydog. The cup and holder are in and installed. I think the one negative comment by the buyer might be explained by the fact that he broke the holder trying to install it on the post. I can see how that could happen. It is soft plastic and one has to have the square end nut aligned so one of it's points is twelve o'clock high to fit the holder plastic extension on. It is what it is and for right now it is better than nothing. The cup is stainless steel outside and in so that's at least worth $18.00 at Starbucks. The mounting bracket does not swivel as might be suggested by the product picture. If the bike tips over you are going to loose your coffee with it. Bummer ! All in all I have a handy tea cup on my bike now and for the moment I'm happy. On a side note: The 1" handlebar clamp the comes with it I have a use for. I will mount it on my engine guard and attach my inspection sticker plate to it. That's worth at least $10.00.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Good details Chopin. You've got to get Mz Vickie to let that VTX go. It looks like it's gasping for air under that cover.;)

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Good details Chopin. You've got to get Mz Vickie to let that VTX go. It looks like it's gasping for air under that cover.;)
Yo Bill! Mz. Vickie has resigned herself to anyone who offers $4,100.00 in cash. Needless to say I told her so. She may know Real Estate value but I ride motorcycles. That 1300 looks a bit dwarfed next to that Wing. Fellow comming by tomorrow to look/bye . I should get the Wing out of there to let it take center stage. Thanks for the indirect tip.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
I should get the Wing out of there to let it take center stage.
Now your using your head, It always amazes me when people are trying to sell something, they do things like leave the wing next to the vtx or the corvette next to the camaro, or the john deere next to the crafstman. Well you get the idea. It's difficult to get someone to buy something when you have obviously upgraded yourself, DUH. Smart man you are Lee. Hide the Wing in the back of the House get some annual plants at Home depot to place nearby, wash & detail the VTX, make sure you start it prior to him coming to look at it, have it parked facing out the drive way on about a 30* angle like it is "ready to ride" & that baby will be on it's way to a new home. Good Luck my friend.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts