Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined today and own a 2008 Goldwing. I'm comming from 10 years of riding a Valkyrie and am looking forward to my years ahead on the Wing. I do, however, want to get a little exhaust modification goin on. Has anyone in the group drilled the baffles on a newer model Wing? If so did you have to have after market tips? I did that on the Valk and loved the deeper tone. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... I Too Have Drilled Baffles ... The Db Level Increased Slightly But Made A Much Deeper And Pleasant Sound ... Started With A 3/16 Pilot Hole And Worked My Way Up To 4 - 7/16 Holes In Each Baffle ... Happy Trails ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ron- What year is your Wing with the drilled baffels and did you have to replace the stock tips?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone drilled a 2018 Tour exhaust out? Looking for procedure and is it worth doing.
I have drilled my previous 2012 and had good sound.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
It reall shouldn't affect teh bike any more than your previous model. Nice thing is, you can always plug the drilled hole(s) if you don't like it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1998 Wing 1500se, can you drill the baffles out on this model. I do wish it was louder with a deeper sound. I think it would be better for safety also.

·
Registered
382 Posts
... Howdy ... I Too Have Drilled Baffles ... The Db Level Increased Slightly But Made A Much Deeper And Pleasant Sound ... Started With A 3/16 Pilot Hole And Worked My Way Up To 4 - 7/16 Holes In Each Baffle ... Happy Trails ...
When you say drilling the baffles are you saying drilling the end of the exhaust pipe or taking the baffles out and drilling them?

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
I had an 06 VTX that was as quiet as a Tesla. I drilled a few holes out the back end of the exhaust. It sounded stupid. I filled the holes with JB Weld.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my 2007 Wing, I took out the baffles and cut off about 6 inches, and reinstalled. The sound was so boomy it resonated in my helmet. Welded the baffle back together. Then bought TorqueLoopz, and cut out the cat. Sounded and ran a lot better! But still something missing in the sound department. Put on Cobra tips with the Loopz, and voile'. It sounds great! Not too loud, but smooth and yet growls. Only growls when hard on the gas. The power gain I have now is surprising. The torque curve is different; as it pulls strong right up to redline; (not that I do that on a regular basis). As we all know, we shift by feel rather than watching the tach. And the Wing flattens out 3000 - 3500 'ish. First time going through the mountains, I could not believe the strength of torque, and when I glanced at the tach, it was almost redline. I would not have believed it if I didn't experience it myself. Now that I am about to trade in on a new Wing, I doubt the dealer will take it on trade with out the cat. Go guess I will go to eBay. Just thought I would share...Keep the rubber side down!

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts
Hello Tonto, welcome to the forum.

I doubt the dealer would even look for the cat.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Dare say most people don't realize it came with one

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did some removing of muffler pieces on my 2018. On the inlet to the muffler there is a disc that makes the exhaust flow go sideways through the inlet tube. I completely removed the disc to allow straight through flow to the exit. On the exit end (the two exit pipes out the cover) there are two discs on the outlet pipes that are exposed. One is solid and the other has a small hole in it. We went as far as to cut the muffler ends off, remove the discs on both outlet pipes, drill a couple of 1/4" holes in the end plate that holds the two exit pipes. Should have given the exhaust a pretty straight through flow with much less restriction.
Made absolutely no difference in the sound of the bike. I really wanted to hear a difference after all that work but it made nothing but the same sound it started with. Next installed them in the dumpster.
I had bought a muffler set off ebay for this experiment for less than $100 so if you are thinking of doing something to the stock mufflers on your 18+ Wing for some attitude out the rear then come up with a different way of chopping them up versus what I did.
Since the Two Brothers is our only alternative for now I have been hoping for a review from someone on how they sound and if the exhaust covers mount up properly. There are quite a few tabs that go back together when reinstalling the covers and if the jig used by Two Brothers if not correct it will be hard to get those covers back on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts