Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question- are the engine and/or final drive drain plugs magnetic? I just changed these oils out on my 2010 Goldwing at 600 miles and noticed a blackish greasy looking substance on my final drive plug but nothing on my engine oil plug. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
As far as I know they are not magnetic.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is magentized!

The curiosity drove me crazy today so, when I got home from work, I drained the final drive oil again and cleaned off the plug bolt. It sure enough has a magnet installed in the middle of it and it was covered with metal particles. Must be something new they are doing (although it did not have one in the engine...??). It also did not have a pressure washer on it so I put one on.

What concerns me now is that the final drive oil was rather dirty again after going only 100 more miles since I changed it at 630 miles. Granted, I did not clean off the plug last time and the final drive is clearly breaking in but should the oil be dirty again already? I think I'll change it every 500-1000 miles for a while and watch it.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The final drive drain plug is as you found out magnetized, and the oil drain plug is not. There are magnetized drain plug's on e-bay for sale, Next time you change your oil and final drive I think the final drive and oil drain plug are the same size, try and swap them and if they are the same same size buy one from a dealer and use it for the oil drain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts