Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add some air direction product to the 2009, 1899 Wing. I like the looks of the Dragon Wings (in the book) but all I see on the wings at events and on the road is Baker style wings. Does anyone have the Dragon Wings on a 1800 and do they work well? I usually always pick comfort and function over looks. What can you tell me?

What about the ISO grips that clamp over the heated grips? Do they really let the heat through? Are they about the same diameter as the regular ISO grips?

Thanks,
Elk Hunter

·
Super Moderator
9,877 Posts
First Mr Hunter, welcome to the forum from another Keystone stater... I have the Baker Wings on my 09 and I had them on my 98 GL1500 SE. I think they are the best, but others may disagree. I assume you want something thicker over the stock hand grips. I had a problem with them being too small. I bought a product called "grip puppies" from a company in CA. They cost about $11 bucks and give the handles just the right thickness. They are made of foam so they transmit the heat from the heated grips very well. Here's the link..

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CST&Category_Code=GRIPPUP

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have heard reports that the dragon wings cause the bike to get loose and float at high speeds, the air catches with them and raises the bike, kind of like the fins on the 59 Chevy.
Grip puppies are the way to go instead of the ISO grips.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts

I just put a set of Baker Hand Wings on my '08. I went for a long ride yesterday and love 'em. I had them wide open for most of the ride and got a nice flow of air. I closed them when we rode the edge of a thunderstorm and everything was nice and calm.

I second (third?) the recommendation for Grip Puppies. I had a set of Kury Iso-Grips on my previous bike, and I looked at the clamp-ons for the 'wing, but they are much bigger around than the plain Iso-Grips. Too big for me. The Grip Puppies don't look as nice, but they provide just enough extra size, are quite comfortable, and about $70.00 cheaper than the Kury's!

Regards,

Randy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome and the reply's. The Dragon wings don't work as good as they look.....hmmmm I was afraid something was wrong when I went to a rally in Johnstown, PA. this weekend and couldn't find a wing with them on. I didn't see any wings with clamp on ISO grips ether. I was afraid they would have to be really large diameter. I don't want the bike floating so I'll scratch the Dragon Wings of my wish list. I have also scratched the fender hole fillers for the same floating reason. Not that I go that fast, but you never know.

I'll get the grip puppies. I plan to get the hand wings before it gets cold. I will tell you that I feel like a real sissy with heated seat, grips and now I'm looking for more protection? After riding a Kawasaki Nomad for the last 8 years the wing sure feels nice stock.

I haven't had a chance to take the wing on a long trip yet but hope to soon. Work keeps getting in the way. We were hoping to go to Colorado this year but with only a week (9 days) I'm not sure it is worth it. 600-700 mile days we could do on the Nomad and the wing should be as good or better after we get some time in the saddle BUT we haven't tried yet so we may find we need to tweak something for comfort?

Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,877 Posts
Ron, what part of western PA are you from? A number of guys on the forum from Pa (NE Pa, Frackville, Bloomsburg, Stroudsburg and others). Ride safe in our beautiful state..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm located in the woods about 45 miles East of Pittsburgh just off Rt22, Blairsville, Pa. 15717. About 30 miles from Johnstown and 13 miles from Indiana, Pa.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,877 Posts
I'm in Wilkes-Barre, right off Rt 81. You will see other guys on here from Pa from time to time. Maybe someday we can arrange a ride for the Pa guys.. Ride safe

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm located in the woods about 45 miles East of Pittsburgh just off Rt22, Blairsville, Pa. 15717. About 30 miles from Johnstown and 13 miles from Indiana, Pa.

Ron
Ron, I'm from Kittanning, we like to do Clems BBQ. You haven't had BBQ till you have had Clems. I would be in for a Pa riders ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Monkeywrench,

Clem's BBQ is good. When your at Clem's you are about 2¼ miles from my house. Less as the crow flies. If you think of it e-mail me sometime your going to Clem's and I'll stop by if possible.

Almost all ride's sound good to me it's the time I don't seam to have enough of.

Ron

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
Grip Puppies and Baker Hand Wings are a good first start. Neither one will disappoint your ride to the point you wish you had not put them on , and neither will leave permanent reminders that they once were there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
chopin114,

I always like being able to go back to stock, or the way it was before I started messing with it.

Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts