Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been searching for ways to increase the power of the GL1800 with no luck so far. Well, Ian (Dookoo's Friend) and I have a new part to test. Cost was under $200. Ian has installed such 'high performance' part to his engine as he is 'retired' and has much idle time. I have to wait for my next day off, which is Friday. We will meet tomorrow morning to see if his Wing can out accelerate my Wing (both Wings were very comparable in speed and acceleration at the racetrack before Ian's modification). This will be a baseline test (stock Wing vs modded Wing). Ian is already bragging about how the Wing feels like it has a 'turbo boost'. I am very optimistic that his Wing will be quite a bit faster. For those who are looking for more power, stay tuned as this is such a common street trick for car enthusiasts. If you have been waiting for the Drag race results, my apologies as we have pretty much worked every weekend and have not had the time.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Keep us in the loop, Dook.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
hey, this isn't the old moth balls in the gas tank is it?

ok, you got our interest up.

Maybe you should tell us 'before' you test this........I'm kidding, I'm kidding, I am kidding........ok, just a little serious.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Can't argue with a little more poop to the scoot. There are times when the throttle is a better defense than the brake lever.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
hey, this isn't the old moth balls in the gas tank is it?

ok, you got our interest up.

Maybe you should tell us 'before' you test this........I'm kidding, I'm kidding, I am kidding........ok, just a little serious.
I agree. We have to wait till Fri maybe even Sat! That is like waiting forty eleventy days LOL! I am deff curious.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
It's not one of those "turbo fans" you stick in the air cleaner is it??????? LOL

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, it is all legit. An Old School way to get more fuel into the cylinders during acceleration. It is nothing new and has been tried on the Wing before but those threads have since died. I think owners are not willing to experiment themselves and were waiting for someone else to do it. We're just picking up the dropped baton and running with it. Will have results in about an hour or so cause that 'greaser' is gonna meet me for pinks. And Chopin, I hope this doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy too.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Well don't run too fast and whatch where you are going. Ride safe.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
You make me feel like one of the two vultures sitting in the tree (remember the old t-shirt "patience my a$$")!:D
We await the results with baited breath...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, you don't have to wait any longer. What Ian came up with was to use modified ST1300 fuel pressure regulators. Stock Goldwing pressure is around 51 psi. The modified ST1300 fpr is 58 psi. The drag race was started from rolling idle in first gear to 100 mph in sunny 60 degree 8am Cali weather. Ian eeked a few bike lengths at best. However, his seat of the pants indicators tell him that the bikes 'got lots more grunt', 'peppier', 'more rideable/fun to ride', and 'definitely lifts the front end higher upon acceleration'. Unfortunately, the ecu will sense the extra fuel and make adjustments to negate the extra fuel, so the gains in hp are very transitory , which explains Ians personal observations. A good analogy would be like putting larger accelerator pumps on a carberator (I.E. bigger squirt of gas). I'll do mine on Friday and let you all know how it goes. By the way, the total cost of the modification was $130 and took Ian 1 1/2 hours. Nothing more than a bolt-on project. We will continue to search for someone who is willing to unlock the ecu for much larger gains. Now that BMW is putting out a 160 hp monster, maybe its time that someone unlocks the potential of the Wing = $300 Power Commander = 150+ hp easy. I was hoping for tire scorching results but our findings were pleasantly mild. This has been tried before in the past by other Wingers. Looking at the video, Ian definitely pulls away from me. Any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Got to love motorheads!

Can't argue with a little more poop to the scoot. There are times when the throttle is a better defense than the brake lever.
I've ridden with you & you don't need more get up & go.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What a fun way to start my day:D
As DOOKOO stated; no hard HP gains, just a feel of decent punch of power between 2800 to about 4500RPM then you can feel the ECM take over.
I find myself on the throttle more after the FPR upgrade ;)

Hey DOOKOO - I can take you from a dead stop launch - remember the 09 is faster than the 08 :D

Was it the pink wire with green stripe that I cut to neutralize the ECM igniton retard feature? :)

Remember to have this note hanging around your neck during the FPR install -
"No Smoking"
Here are some additional tips: Have a drip pan and rags - have a low fuel level - remove gas cap to release pressure - be quick on the FPR changeout. - don't pull on anything really hard; if it does not come off with little effort then there is a bolt holding it. If you have extra parts lying around after buttoning it up...no worries - you just accomplished a weight reduction mod :D

Have the right tools handy and nearby:

24mm box wrench
angled needle nose pliers
fire extinguisher

·
Registered
168 Posts
No fire monster at all but on my 03 wing (past)just a K&N air filter and a change to Iridium plugs seemed to increase power and gas milage at the time I rode with a few guys who had 03 wings as well and I could best them , however I am 50 pounds lighter then both of the other riders and that may have been the real deal ? I do plan on going the same way on my 2010 not for racing but for milage and less maintenance.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Short video posted (here and on the first post). The lead Wing also has Cobra exhaust, iridium plugs, and K&N filter.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
How about sticking a smaller wheel on the front. That way you will be going down hill all the time and everyone knows you can accelerate faster going down hill...:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts