Honda Goldwing Forum banner

What tires do you like best for 1500 (must have 10K or more)

• Elite III

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Avon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bridgestone

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Metz 880

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't look now another tire? Run to another thread now!

I hate to even ask this but.......I am.

I have researched past threads but it made my head hurt.

Old threads kind of ramble so I will try to be specific.

I need new tires.

Also, please post what it is about them you like. You can keep it short if you like.

example:
quiet ride
wet grip
long life etc.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Ok I'll start, I"m on my 3rd set of Dunlop E3's got 20k out of each of the first two sets. I like them. I always replace them as sets, not one at a time.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
E3's for my GL-1500A, better wet traction. With the Voyager I normally replace 2 front tires to every one in the back. Better ride.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
When I had my 1500's I always ran Dunlops but back then they were Elite 2's, I have no idea how the E3s are on the 1500.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Don't see the tires I used on my 1500. I always used the OEM tires. I believe they were Dunlop K177's. Got around 15k from them and never had any problems. JMHO...

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
the only tires i've had on either wing are e3's

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
On my 1500 I went through the original OEM Dunlops and replaced them with a new set of OEM's, and the third set I put on were EII's. Still had the front Elite on it when I did the Lehman conversion, and it had about 15,000 km on it when I sold it, that's 9300 miles, and it was still fine.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
does anyone think that buying tires online is a bad idea as far as date constructed?
I found E3s for $305 to my door.

Gonna go down to the dealer tomorrow and see what he will do. I prefer to keep my local guys in business if they are reasonable but I can also buy the equipment for $200 and do it myself.

the problem is that I have run outa space. Wonder if the wife would mind if I bolt the tire changer to the hood of the mustang GT?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think buying online is a good idea. If the prices are good they will be selling lots of tyres and that means you should not end up with a set that was manufactured 5 years ago.. I have bought online and never had a problem with manufacture date.. The problem is usually finding someone that will fit and blance the new tyres.. They usually want a fortune if you didn't buy the tyre from them.

Gary

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THANKS ALL.

I am looking at $200 for the entire set up to mount and balance myself if I can find room to put the stuff.

I don't spin wrenches like I used to but the ability to clean the wheels while it is off is appealing to me.

I found a set of E3's for $305 to my door. So 500 to new tires and have the equipment sounds ok to me.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I have only put the E3 on my 1500 and think they run great. I've never tried anything else to compare them too. I go by the theory, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
E3's working good for me. I usually pay $20 a tire to have mounted and balanced (I bring in the wheel and tire). While talking to the shop mechanic, he stated that he prefers when you just bring in the tire and wheel. Says its so easy for him to just mount a new tire and balance vs. bike on lift, remove tire/wheels, mount/balance, etc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't forget the beads with your new skins, whatever kind of tire you buy. My Dyna Beads are doing great, they balance everytime you roll, eliminate the lead weights and poor balancing jobs--and are very economical.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts