Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've run into a rain related problem, I hope someone can help on.

Today, for the 2nd time in the past year, I had starting problems on my 94 SE (never any other time). After being parked at work it didn't want to start. I noticed that both times this has happened after a major thunderstorm with very strong blowing wind. I suspect that water is getting blown into somewhere, causing the problem. The battery is strong and plenty of fuel. The engine will keep spinning until it will finally start as I let off the starter button. Both times I had to stop immediately at a traffic light after leaving the parking lot, facing downhill, and the engine dies. After about 5 more minutes of waiting and trying, it will start up. I suspect that water is running into some place and causing the problem. Once the engine starts back up and warms up, no problem seen, so I think that the heat from the engine is drying out the moisture.

Anyone else seen this problem?

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
I read a thread on another forum that had the exact symptoms. They thought it was the battery did not have enough power because of the draw from the starter, and the second they left off the starter button the bike turned over. Don't know if that is your problem, but have you had the battery load tested lately or do you have a "battery bug" attached to the bike which will tell you the condition of your battery..

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Another thing you can try is put a can of WD40 in the trunk if it happens again, spray the wires & misc down with it. The WD stands for water displacement & the stuff works. For that matter try it at your convienece at home where you can control things better. Spray the bike down with water to see if you can simulate the action.

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
I've had it happen on my 1993 a couple of times and I carry WD-40 with me and cover the trike. I have a guess that the rain water may be getting into the kill switch during a down pour. The starter turns over but the bike doesn't start just like the kill switch has been turned to the 'Stop' position. So I spray the kill switch and start button and then wait and then it will start.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
One thing you can check is your spark plugs. Take the plug wires off one at a time and with a flash light look down in where the plugs are. There should be a small drain hole in the bottom of the plug socket. This hole may be stopped up. Use a piece of wire to clean out the hole. Be sure to check all of them to see that they are unplugged.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with Bamaeagle, check your spark plug boots when this happens. My '85 Aspy runs rough or has hard start problems when riding in the rain. The rain water gets into the boot areas and causes this. WD40 helps in a pinch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts